I’ve been home sick for the past three days with a sinus infection, sleeping most of the day and having weird dream at night. In one of those dreams I was on-stage in a 2016 GOP Presidential Primary debate. I don’t remember much of it, but I was impressive!
Hey, it was my dream. It did have the moderately beneficial result of forcing me to think about what I’d like in a candidate, and what I would like to represent if Hell froze over and I was actually a contender.
I dumped the 15 plank platform on Twitter a while ago, and the response was pretty good, so I thought I’d replicate it here for posterity.
- Obamacare struck down, and insurance regs stripped to bare minimum and companies allowed to compete nationally.
- U.S. out of nation-building, sticking to nation-bombing as necessary to national defense only.
- U.S. Navy built up as dual-purpose military-humanitarian force. “No better friend, no worse enemy.”
- Biometric voter ID mandatory, and mobile registration units provided for shut-ins, etc.
- If you don’t pay taxes, you don’t vote. Period. You want to play, you must have a skin in the game.
- Massive overhaul of tax code. No loopholes, purchase-based. No penalty on saving (Need to flesh this out in more detail).
- Close down federal agencies/departments not necessary to carrying out core Constitutional requirements.
- Energy independence. Drill here, now. Cos that fail to leave land in better condition than when started shuttered.
- Term limits in congress. 1 term senate, 3 terms house. No one should be part of the problem for more than 6 years.
- 2nd Amendment carry. Striking down of GCA 68 and modernizing of NFA 34. Suppressors actively encouraged by EPA/OSHA.
- SCOTUS not compelled to retire, but encouraged to retire by the age of 72.
- Means-testing of all federal aid.
- Pass balanced budget amendment, or impose for length of term via executive order.
- Would serve one term only. None of this “holding back for the second term” crap.
- Challenge Roe v Wade. Infanticide is not a right. Contraception is a personal responsibility.
I imagine such a platform would be effective in getting the nation back on budge, and re-fire the culture of personal responsibility and maturity that seems to have skipped a generation or two. I’m equally certain that any candidate that tried to run on such a platform would be attacked by social conservatives (yes, even with a Roe v Wade challenge) as well as progressives, because it would reduce the government’s ability to intrude into your personal lives. It would get ripped apart from each end.
But it’s still a nice dream.