How you know disaster prep has gone mainstream

Written By: Bob - Mar• 01•12

This email went out from from Costco last night.

click to embiggen

It’s kind of cool, actually. We’re learning lessons about “putting things by” that our grandparents and great-grandparents understood as second nature, but that seem to have been lost on a nation that has grown up with just-in-time shipping. I just wish that we as a society weren’t having to face the possibility of needing to use emergency food supplies as a result of the incompetence of our federal government.

1. RJ says:

Well, the Walmart in my town has a whole aisle just for this stuff (food and food and water storage), so you know its mainstream. But. then again, living in the rockies about 2 hours from an interstate, its dutiful to be sure you can go for a couple of days if the power/gas/water lines give out, as it would take the various agencies in charge of said utilities about 3 days to get busy getting it fixed (no fed help at all as we are in “flyover country”).

2. LSBeene says:

Ok – don’t laugh, but after I saw the add I just ordered two of those. :)

3. rumcrook says:

my grandparents had a one acre garden when I was a kid back in the 70’s and and they always canned, pickles and waxed vegetables for the winter.
    they allways had easily 3 months of food stored away. and seed potato and onions layed aside for spring.

so I dont see how doing anything less is crazy or paranoid. its a duty to have enough food set aside to get by if something disastrous happens.

I think in general people are oblivious to just how tenuous our existence on this planet is.

we have done an exellent job of insulating ourselves from reality and our modern world is much more fragile than people understand.

what if we had an influenza outbreak like just prior to ww1 that was killing hundreds of thousands of people?

would their be food on the shelves at wallmart?
    how many months would the system be broke down?
    no one driving or transporting food.
    how many months would people have to stay isolated in their home to survive?

having food & water for a number of months could be the difference between life and death.

• harp1034 says:

The Spanish Flu you are talking about began in 1918 about the time WW1 ended. As pointed out many died. The way things are today even more would die if something like that where to break out.

4. David says:

Costco has had theses items for years. No news really.

5. Junk Science Skeptic says:

Maybe it’s a regional thing, but my grandmother referred to her canning efforts as “putting things up” rather than “putting things by,” as in “I put up sixty quarts of tomatoes this year.”

She’s gone and it has probably been 30-35 years since I was the beneficiary of her canning efforts. But in all this time, nobody has even come close to topping her version of bread & butter pickles.

So, in addition to the security of having plenty of food on hand, home-canned food generally tastes much better.

TK