Meet the new rifleman

Written By: Bob - Mar• 26•12

I had the opportunity–along with a number of other bloggers–to attend the Appleseed event at the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA) range in Ramsuer, NC.

I’ll be writing about this event in detail–probably to the point of annoyance in coming days and weeks ahead, as the experience meant that much to me. In the interim, here is a picture of Shoot boss Walt AKA “Iron Pony” me being presented with my “Rifleman” patch after shooting “expert” on the AQT.

Getting my rifleman patch, while holding my qualifying target.

The Appleseed Project is a wonderful opportunity to learn your heritage and learn marksmanship the way it used to be taught. I’ll be writing about it more, and cannot praise theĀ  fine bunch of volunteers that started and grow this program enough.

1. keads says:

Congrats Sir! Nice to meet you and I apologize for shooting your target!

No apologies necessary. At the time, you were doing a better job striking it than I was!

And it was very nice to shoot with you as well.

2. It felt pretty good to shoot Rifleman. My old drill sergeant wouldn’t believe it.

Thanks for joining the rest of us bloggers out there.

3. mac says:

Did you practice with the targets ahead of time? My buddy and I spent the preceding months practicing the positions and with the targets. We didn’t time ourselves.

We also found we did better with the modified, four-minutes for all four positions than running each position separately. I had the most difficult time getting for sitting or prone, then having to stand up to start the segment.

I had every intention of practicing beforehand, but never got that proverbial “round tuit.” I don’t know if that was a blessing or a curse. One thing I learned at Appleseed is that everything I thought I knew about marksmanship was wrong or at best incomplete. If I had practiced before hand, I might have just had more bad habits to overcome.

On the other hand, I’d be a lot less sore after the fact if I’d been more flexible going into the shoot. I’m not sure I’d recommend yoga, but doing stretching exercises in the weeks ahead of a shoot would have done quite a few of us some good, especially as it related to a proper and stable sitting position.

4. Congrats, Bob! Wish I had been there!

I bet you would have loved it. The great thing about Appleseed events is that they are all over the country, and are held frequently. I’ll be going back again soon,and hopefully bringing some folks along with me to share in the experience.

5. Chainsaw says:

Rock on, Bob.

That’s no small feat.

6. Kirby says:

Congrats on the Rifleman patch! It took me numerous shoots to get mine.

7. Larry Redneck says:

Nice work Bob. Congratulations on acheiving the first step of becoming a Rifleman. Alway happy to see a new Rifleman. Thanks for your very complementary comments on Project Appleseed. Persist, adapt, and overcome.