Happening now live on your cable channel of choice. Depending on how this goes, this case could be over before lunch.
I hope everyone is adequately prepared.
Updating as warranted…
- O’Mara is good. Has investigator is dancing around the loaded word “profiling” and the obvious implication of racial profiling that the evidence doesn’t support.
- O’Mara now asking why investigator’s chose to selectively quote Zimmerman from recorded police call.
- O’Mara now questioning investigator of when prosecution witness (Martins’ girlfriend on phone) was interviewed… five weeks after the shooting. Attempting to cast doubt on her testimony/memory.
- O’Mara is really ripping into the speculative nature of the affidavit, leading and “antagonistic” nature of the way it was written.
- O’Mara questions investigator of claim that Trayvon Martin’s mother identified the cry for help as her son. Reveals investigators did not run claim past audio expert.
- O’Mara points out Zimmerman volunteered to talk to Prosecutor’s Office three days before arrest.
- Prosecutor (one of Corey’s people, not Corey herself) steps forward to depose investigator.
- Prosecutor claims one witness saw one person chasing another (no details in who chased who)
- Prosecutor attempting to shore up affidavit by asking investigators a series of confirming questions, “Isn’t it true…” Pretty much a recitation of the affidavit.
- O’Mara objects to use of the word “confronted” claim that Martin was “minding his own business” which the prosecution has no evidence to support. Both objections sustained.
- did I just heard that right? Martin’s mother never told police that the voice was her son? So, that claim isn’t evidence, is it? how did it get in the affidavit.
- O’Mara now cross examining. Exposes that a prosecution “witness” only saw shadows, not people. Now going into fact prosecutors did not use any evidence that supported Zimmerman’s version of events.
- O’Mara asking if there is ANY evidence conflicting with Zimmerman’s statement given the night of the incident. Investigator is dodging like hell, trying to not answer… Finally answers “no.” GAME OVER.
- Prosecutor is scrambling to save case. Does not appear to be prepared for this.
- Judge (I think) asks about proximity of gunshot. Investigator confirms powder burns, at close range.
- O’Mara gets prosecutor to admit Zimmerman’s wounds, and that they were consistent with Zimmerman’s story of having his head bashed into the concrete sidewalk.
- ZIMMERMAN ASKS TO MAKE A STATEMENT.
- Apologizes to Martin’s family for the loss of their son, says he thought he was older.
- Prosecutor now badgering Zimmerman for not apologizing sooner.
- Not a scientific measurement, but I think that prosecutor has lost every single objection, O’Mara has won every single one.
Prosecutor and Defense argue bail. Judge Lester makes determination that prior arrests were rather trivial, sets $150,000 bail.