The House Oversight and Government Committee has scheduled a contempt of Congress vote for Attorney General Eric Holder next week, for refusing to turn over tens of thousands of documents related the government’s Fast and Furious operation subpoenaed in October 2011.
Committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., released a 64-page memo in early May outlining the case for holding the attorney general in contempt. The chairman based his argument around Holder’s failure to respond to an October 2011 subpoena for internal Justice Department documents on the operation.
The committee’s vote for contempt is scheduled for June 20.
“The Obama administration has not asserted Executive Privilege or any other valid privilege over these materials, and it is unacceptable that the Department of Justice refuses to produce them,” Issa said in a statement Monday, accusing Holder of having “failed to meet his legal obligations.”
He said the Justice Department has “obstructed the investigation,” adding that the department “can still stop the process of contempt” by delivering key documents.
In a separate statement, House Speaker John Boehner said the department is “out of excuses.”
Speaker Boehner is out of excuses as well, and his tepid support only comes after months of rising anger at the allegations the Speaker and other GOP leaders in the House were actively obstructing Oversight’s desire to press for answers to the Obama Administration gun-running plot that has contributed to the deaths of 300+ Mexican nationals and two U.S. federal agents.
Senator Charles Grassley, who has also been heavily involved in pressing the case against the Administration plot, released a statement this morning:
“This action is straightforward and necessary. Contempt is the only tool Congress has to enforce a subpoena. The Department of Justice can avoid the action by complying with its legal obligation. It’s not about personalities. It’s a procedural mechanism in our system of checks and balances. If Congress is afraid to pursue answers to questions, it’s not doing its job. People deserve transparency from their government. Transparency leads to the truth about what’s going on. It puts people in a position to defend their rights. It protects our freedoms.
“The only constitutionally viable exception to the Department of Justice’s obligation under the subpoena would be executive privilege. The President hasn’t asserted that privilege, presumably because the vast majority of the documents at issue aren’t related to communications with the White House. Because the documents don’t fit the category of executive privilege, the department is obligated to turn over the documents. To date, the Department of Justice has refused even to provide a privileged log describing what it wants to withhold and why. The House committee can’t make a judgment about whether there are valid arguments for withholding documents if the department refuses to provide such a log. That kind of fundamental refusal to even participate in any sort of a process of negotiation is what forced the House committee to move toward contempt to require the Justice Department to respond in a meaningful way.”
The Obama Administration has dodged all responsibility for a plot designed from the ground up to generate Mexican civilian, military, and police casualties.
Fast and Furious was dependent on the practice of cartel gunmen dumping weapons once that had been used in a shooting so that if they were arrested, they could not be tied to that or previous shootings by weapon ballistics or forensics. These dumped weapons are then recovered by Mexican authorities and weapons bearing U.S. manufacturer or importer stamps are have their serial numbers submitted to the BATFE for tracing. Fast and Furious purposefully injected at least 2000 weapons into the Sinaloa cartel in an effort to link U.S. civilian gun crimes to narco-terrorism in support of the Obama Administration’s “90-percent lie” pushed by the Attorney General, Secretary Clinton, Secretary Napolitano, and President Obama.
The 90-percent lie was the demonstrably false claim that 90-percent of cartel weapons came from U.S. gun shops, and was part of an effort by the Obama Administration to generate public support for stricter gun control. No coincidentally, the weapons shipped to the Sinaloa cartel were all firearms the Administration hoped to eradicate from U.S. civilian sales as a part of a Attorney General Holder’s call (during Operation Fast and Furious) to reinstate the failed Clinton era “assault weapons ban.”
The Department of Justice has not fired a single person for the gun-walking plot, nor has its Inspector General been able to determine in a 15+ month long investigation who even authorized the plot.
Conspirators to the murderous plot include Obama Administration Cabinet members and other Obama political appoints, and may involve President Obama himself as either the originator or a co-conspirator to the plot.