Tip: Don’t jog near schools carrying an airsoft rifle and dressed in combat gear

Written By: Bob - Aug• 21•12

Not your typical jogging gear.

It sounds to me like a cry for help:

William Everett Alemar, 23, of South Raleigh Street, Martinsburg, was charged with committing a terrorist act and wearing body armor while committing a felony offense following the incident, which occurred on the first day of school for Berkeley County students. As of Monday, he was being held at Eastern Regional Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bond.

Alemar, who police said was a member of the military, later told police he was out running and jogging with his gear on, police said. His current military status is under police investigation.

Running around in your combat gear with an airsoft gun is a good way to draw the attention of Johnny Law. That allowed, is charging Alemar with two felonies for “jogging while scarey,” without any actual means to commit harm, really the best use of court resources and taxpayer dollars?

Update: Alemar is a National Guardsman who did a tour of Iraq in 2011, and his father says he was running in his gear to get in shape for his next deployment.

Alemar’s father, Stephen Alemar, told The Herald-Mail on Monday that he believes his son was running with his gear to stay in shape for his next military assignment. Alemar said his son returned home in December from deployment in Iraq, where he had been assigned to a special forces unit.

“He’s not a terrorist; he’s not a bad kid,” his father said.

Alemar said his son wanted to serve his country his entire life and volunteered to go to Iraq and Afghanistan.

The cops raided Alemar’s home, too. The only “weapon” they found was another airsoft gun. The  Martinsburg Police and Berkeley County Magistrate Sandra L. Miller need to get their heads out of their collective asses. Alemar certainly isn’t a rocket scientist, but he’s rather obviously chosen to dedicate his life to fighting terrorists, not becoming one.

1. david7134 says:

My son was training for air assualt school. He had to run in full gear, helmet, gun, the whole 9 yards for 12 miles. He commonly has run around the neighborhood. It is tough running with a gun and requires some training. What cops need to do is stand down. We do not need but about 10% of the law that we are getting.

2. Orion says:

I know a lot of Marines and Soldiers who practice running in their gear (no weapon though). The weight is very different and learning to run with the load makes a huge difference. Down in Arizona when I was doing biathlon training, I rollerbladed with my rifle – Of course, I called the PCSO up FIRST and let them know who I was, what I was doing and where I was doing it. And avoided school zones. LOL

I sometimes (when my knees are up to it!) run with my old ALICE pack on loaded with dive weights to simulate a full load.

I’m wondering why the cops didn’t just stop him, question him, and perhaps say “Go jog somewhere else” and suggest a route for him where they’d know where he was and what he was doing.

Any clue what his ‘terrorist act’ was? And since when did wearing body armor become a multiplier crime?

Orion

3. Steven says:

We had a not so dissimilar incident where I live.

One of our Soldiers wanted to go to Ranger School, so we decided to give him a road march test with full gear to see where his level of fitness was.

Now, as a combat veteran I am used to seeing a Soldier in full gear & body armor, but apparently the local civilians kind of freaked. He was carrying a “rubber ducky” M-16 (fake, rubber, has size & weight of actual weapon).

He was out on the road march route we had assigned him and, sure enough, a local PD car stopped him. He identified himself as an NCO, and luckily because his full time job is as a fire fighter they recognized him. He told them what he was doing, gave them his military ID, showed that the “weapon” was a fake, gave them the unit phone # and told them the SQN Commander had authorized the event.

He then told them that while they were certainly free to follow him that he was going to keep going as he was being timed. They allowed him to continue and called the commander of the SQN to confirm his story.

There’s more to the story – such as the state police also becoming involved (the local PD stepped in and spoke up for our guy) and the NUMEROUS 911 calls involved.

But, THAT is a normal reaction.

4. Stant says:

What a waste of the taxpayers money these charges are. Martinsburg needs to get it’s collective heads out of their behinds.

5. XPO172 says:

Here in Texas, Terroristic Threat (similar to what they charged this guy with) requires intent. If he didn’t intend to scare the crap out of everyone, then they will let him go. Then the stupid “with body armor” charge will go away too.

6. david7134 says:

stant,
    Think of the amount of money that the taxpayers are going to be hit for when his defamation suit goes to court.