Doomsday Preppers: the child abuse episode

Written By: Bob - Nov• 29•12

I’m all for teaching youngsters how to use firearms safely, but when you train your six-year-old and twelve-year-old for combat, child protective services should be keeping you under very close watch.

1. captainfish says:

Is this any different than what families, kids, had to grow up and learn during the 1700-1800′s?

Kids had to know how to protect themselves and their families from animal attacks, indian and bandit attacks. They had to know how to hunt and clean animals for meat, including farm animals.

Granted I did not watch show, so unless they are forced to shoot people, and were hounded incessantly with the butt of a gun, I’m not sure about the charge of child abuse?

I suggest watching the episode, then.

Deploying your children forward in indefensible positions without cover where they with inadequate training or weapons (a .22LR pistol?) is going to get them killed for no purpose whatsoever. That’s the ultimate child abuse.

The fact he deploys his family in the open instead of inside his two bullet-resistant homes with 7″ think limestone walls, and calls his compound the “Alamo” (he even built it in the same town where John Wayne filmed the movie of the same title) suggests to me he has a last stand death fantasy he wants to live out, and he wants his three kids to be part of it.

• captainfish says:

Well, how would you teach engagement and firearm training inside a home?

So, you are suggesting training for the future is child abuse? ULTIMATE child abuse? Isn’t it better to start training kids how to survive and fight back while they are still fairly young, and willing to follow orders, than wait till they are in their late teens and ready to move out of the home? Or should parents wait till the 24 year old kids are in college before they start training them in the use of guns and protection strategies?

There was a 3 year old girl in my state. Just about ever bone in her body was broken after being beaten and then left for dead by the father. She ended up dying a few months later. THAT is ultimate child abuse.

I couldnt find the video online, and was not sure which one it was.

Don’t get me wrong, parents do have a tendency to go full-tilt crazy and take their kids with them, but this is their money, their choice of “vacation” and their choice of how to raise their kids. If they aren’t having their kids hold up the shooting targets, then having them fire guns and pretend\train in protection strategies seems kinda harmless.

2. Russell says:

I didn’t start watching Doomsday Preppers until I read about it on your blog.

Preparing for disasters is understandable, especially in the light of Hurricane Sandy. And the information available at the website http://www.practicalpreppers.com certainly offers helpful advice.

But the “Doomsday” scenarios imagined by most of the parties involved in the show are just not believeable when viewed through human history. Chernobyl, the Spanish Flu, and other twentieth century disasters did not result in the failure of civilization.

Sure, there was suffering of all kinds. But “complete colapse”? Far from it.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. “Doomsday” is the key word in the show, as it denotes we’re watching extremists. Most realistic preppers, with both feet firmly on the ground, do not take it to the extremes that would make good television. For goodness sake, prepping is life insurance, and how exciting is that?

3. Steve Skubinna says:

Well, when home I’m in rural America, where everyone has a generator, a supply of candles, batteries and flashlights, food and spare blankets, and a stock of emergency rations.

Doomsday, to me, is having to fend for myself with a Ka-Bar and a loincloth. Not something I’m going to spend a lot of time prepping for. A major blizzard, hell, even a NorK EMP burst in the stratosphere I can deal with. The total collapse of civilization, in that case we’re all going to be winging it.

4. Debbie says:

There is a time and purpose for teaching our children everything. A 6 year old needs to be more concerned about learning what’s good for his body and maybe caring for himself and the siblings around him. The next step would be to learn how to cook basic food, and know how to keep warm when disaster strikes. If giving a gun to a 6 year old is acceptable then someone is playing way too many video games.