I can never be that kind of Christian

Written By: Bob - Dec• 07•12

I was disheartened to see this morning that a group of social fundamentalists calling themselves “One Million Moms” has decided to pick a fight with one of the few celebrities in this world who seems to be a truly decent human being.

It wasn’t over something she said, or did, but rather, is was because of who she is:

Comedian and talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres’s newest Christmas commercial has apparently upset ‘One Million Moms.’

In the JCPenny commercial, DeGeneres jokingly insults the tiny little Santa helpers with short jokes:

“I know this is no small feat,” she says. “Well, it’s a big deal,” she adds.

But that’s not what’s insulting mom’s.

A group, called ‘One Million Moms,’ is upset that DeGeneres, a lesbian, is being used to advertise JCPenny.

The group posted this on its website Tuesday:

“Since April, JC Penney’s has not aired Ellen DeGeneres in one of their commercials until now. A new JCP ad features Ellen and three elves. JCP has made their choice to offend a huge majority of their customers again. Christians must now vote with their wallets.”

According to the Today Show, the group, which is a project of the American Family Association, asked shoppers to call JCPenney and ask that the company replace DeGeneres as a spokeswoman.

Degeneres isn’t asking for much.

She wants an opportunity to sell her talents as a comedian, talk show host, voice talent, and spokesperson. As a fiscal conservative, I applaud her hard work in making herself a successful, marketable personality. I admire the rare, God-given gift she has of affecting childlike wonder, and reminding us what a world of miracles we live in. I can say without hesitation that she makes this world a better place for bringing laughter to a sometimes dreary and dark existence. If you don’t think God’s hand is in that, you’re nuts.

One Million Moms and the the American Family Association of which they are a part don’t even seem to have any particular issue with Ms. DeGeneres’ work as one of the few clean comedians in an increasing vulgar world. The problems these groups have is that DeGeneres is a lesbian. For that, they want her punished.

That is a problem that I have with them, as a Christian and a conservative.

I must confess up front that I am not that good at being a Christian. I’m profane, self-centered, and don’t tithe the 10-percent of my earnings that I should. I only begrudging volunteer my time, and rarely read my Bible.

Perhaps that is why I missed an apparent admonition from Jesus Christ which the OMM and AFA prosthelytizes to ostracize others, and to shun good people because God created them with a sin that is a little different from some of the sins which the rest of us bear.

It must be a tremendous challenge that God gave gays and lesbians. I cannot imagine being in romantic love with a man as a man, growing up in a largely Christian culture that professes to believe in the forgiveness of sins, but who so consistently and spectacularly fails to live up to their own standards. There’s a tiny Westboro cultist in far too many of us, who fails to heed the warning this failed sect was put on this Earth by God to provide.

No wonder it seems so many of gays and lesbians have a hard time finding a place in which to connect with God, when we Christians stand so resolutely in their way.

The American Family Association and One Million Moms assuredly think they’re doing the “right” thing. They’ve perversely convinced themselves they are doing God’s will by persecuting God’s children. There’s a warning somewhere in the Bible having to do with motes and eyes that would be applicable, and if I read it more often I might be able to quote it to you. I do think I have the general sentiment correct.

We’re imperfect people in an imperfect world that was laid low by our own sinful nature. I’d be willing to bet (oops, another sin) that Ellen DeGeneres has sinned no more than her so-called Christian critics, and she certainly has the same chance of salvation Jesus purchased for us with his own precious blood.

It’s hard to be a Christian. Hopefully, Ellen will have the grace to forgive her less than perfect fellow travelers, “for they know not what they do.”

1. david7134 says:

I was raised Methodist, but have given up on organized religion due to the hate.

2. Daddy Hawk says:

I think a lot of Christians, fundamentalists in particular, lose sight of the concept of “Love the sinner, hate the sin.” Christ Himself modeled this behavior by forgiving the adulterous woman and telling her to go her way and sin no more. The Bible is clear that homosexuality is a sin. God has it that way for a reason. But, that does not mean that he has turned his back on those that practice it. Those sinners, whatever their sin, willing to change (repent) and sin no more can expect the same forgiveness.

3. Steve Skubinna says:

This all has a vague air of deja vu to it. It seems we’ve seen this same script before, but I’m not interested enough to search it out.

I just can’t be interested in Ellen Degeneres’ personal life. I respect that she is not strident and that she does not strut her sexual preferences publicly, and appreciate that she is content to leave the issue none of my business.

What perplexes me is why it’s a big issue for others. Is the apparently straight Madonna a better spokeswoman and role model? Sally Ride was a lesbian and closeted until her obituary. Was she admirable up to then, but not afterwards?

4. rumcrook says:

I don’t support these women or thier desire to hurt degeneres, but that said everyone with a brain and eyes sees that the left has been more hateful, destructive, vicious, in its coordinated attacks on those outside the orthodox beliefs of leftism than any one else except islamism. Let’s face it, leftism is the other orginized religion of the western world and it doesn’t like competitors.

Have any Christians thrown anyone off of train platforms lately? Well one of the followers of rop has. And how many babies has Christianity murdered? Leftists have started upping the anty in acedemia and now think babies cab be killed even after they are born.
    Leftism and Islam have been and always will be the real threat to life and liberty.

5. Ran says:

There’s a faux “gun-rights” group out there – now exposed – with the purpose of embarrassing and discrediting 2A supporters. One wonders if AFA & OMM aren’t being hijacked for a similar purpose?

What’s disturbing too is that Ellen is, well, one of the nicest people out there. She doesn’t get into Rosie territory or come off like Whoopie. Ellen is just her own gal trying to do Good.

Then there are the creeps making stress over the Sally-Ann, having them kicked out of Target.

Please! JCP, like Target, is just an honest business doing what it believes is a Good Thing. I wish the bigots would just stay quiet and leave others in Peace? Just this season, please?

6. Scott says:

Perhaps if you were to read that book, you might understand the Christian point of view. We are commanded to confess and forsake sin, not to proclaim and promote it. And Ms. DeGeneres is probably more offended of your describing her ‘lifestyle’ as ‘sin’ than she is of any boycott.

7. The Old Man says:

As you said: “she has a gift” which is fleeting. But it is used well and reflects well on her. Do not forget that her fans well outnumber the OMM.
    I find her witty and likeable but don’t watch much TV and no EDeG so I may be unqualified to talk.