Are there free man still alive in New York?

Written By: Bob - Jan• 15•13
The Redcoats are firing again.

The Redcoats are firing again in Albany.

The Founders of the state of New York unwisely chose not to protect the natural rights of its citizens to defend themselves, and this week we see the windfall of their folly.

“This will be the toughest gun control package in the nation,” said Sen. Jeffrey Klein, leader of the Independent Democrat Conference that shares majority control with Republican senators. “All in all, it is a comprehensive, balanced approach that will save lives,” Klein said in an interview.

Cuomo said he wanted quick action to avoid a run on assault rifles and ammunition as he tries to address what he estimates is about 1 million assault rifles in New York state. He made it a centerpiece of his progressive agenda in last week’s State of the State address.

Republican Sen. Greg Ball called that political opportunism in a rare criticism of the popular and powerful governor seen by his supporters as a possible candidate for president in 2016.

“We haven’t saved any lives tonight, except one: the political life of a governor who wants to be president,” said Ball who represents part of the Hudson Valley. “We have taken an entire category of firearms that are currently legal that are in the homes of law-abiding, tax paying citizens. … We are now turning those law-abiding citizens into criminals.”

The governor confirmed the proposal, previously worked out in closed session, called for a tougher assault weapons ban and restrictions on ammunition and the sale of guns, as well as a mandatory police registry of assault weapons, grandfathering in assault weapons already in private hands.

The bill outlaws any magazine of more than seven rounds and there is not grandfathering, only a grace period; all magazines not sent out of state within a year become the basis for criminal charges. Presumably, this affects the eight-round en-bloc clip of the Garand as well, and certainly outlaws century-old Enfields with their 10-round magazines.

All “assault weapons”—and now almost everything is an assault weapon, as they’ve changed the definition of those as well—must be registered with the state. Buying ammunition will require a background check. Buying ammunition over the internet is now illegal.

All this in the name of “safety.”

The cowardly governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, and his craven legislature, have merely convinced millions of New Yorkers to be break the law.

Most modern handguns (other than a few ultra-compact concealed carry pistols that New Yorkers can’t get carry permit for anyway) have a magazine capacity of ten rounds or more. Shooters will have a year to find “New York compliant” magazines, or their firearms are useless… which you must suspect is the state’s goal.

New Yorkers have a choice. They can either comply to the demands of their would-be masters, quietly become criminals and hope they don’t get caught acting like free men, or they can fight this abject insanity.

As New York state has no constitutional protections, they must either appeal these laws to a federal judge and up the line to the United States Supreme court years from now, or resolve to take down this draconian law through subversive means.

Civil disobedience is a great start.

You’d be amazed how few transportation arteries their are into New York City, and how easy it would be to turn the city upside down with a few dozen vehicles suffering concurrent “mechanical problems” on bridges and in tunnels during the morning rush hour. This is just one off-the-cuff idea. There are thousands of things you can do to make this totalitarian state falter. Crush Albany’s wallet, and force them to repeal this ill-advised law.

If civil disobedience fails…

It’s your state, New Yorkers. Defend it.

1. Bill says:

I *really* want to see the text of this bill.

2. Gayle says:

3. Bill says:

Check out the county map. NY’s a big state.

4. Klingonwork says:

NY, and soon here in California, ARE the enemy states. Let’s speak plainly here. How does a 10 to 7 round mag change protect the lives of the 7 who could be shot? It can’t. There will be a 7 to 4 change then a 4 to 1 change…until there’s a 1 to 0 change. But hey they’ll say you still have your guns don’t you?

My apologies folks for repeating myself, but the Rubicon HAS been crossed…let that sink in…and it scares the he** out of me to say that. I pray any government agent monitoring this site has enough love of the Constitution to defend it as clearly it has been modified today.

The 2nd ammendment is there to protect all the others, without it, the rest are superflous, irrelevant. The right to keep and bear arms doesn’t say “right to keep and bear sporting arms”, it means what it says…arms, period. In the Army I learned it is a weapon. If you said gun that’s 200 pushups. The efficiency of those arms was not an issue and even then there were weapons more efficient. The left is has taken horrific advantage of a horrific event compounding their error of attempting to circumvent the Constitution, which they did today.

This government is out of control…

5. Cole says:

Would they revolt against it?

There are areas of New York packed full of gun owners. No state is solidly anything. Texas has areas full of leftists. New York has the rural areas full of hunters. So yes, there are plenty of people opposed to this bill. But will they actually revolt? Depends on what you mean by revolt. I assume that as long as these gun grab bills are on the state level people will vote with their feet. Some will resist. Most will leave. Everyone is leaving Illinois. If I wasn’t taking care of my elderly Mother I’d be gone. People in New York will just leave. The spark that lights off this powder keg is a gun grab on the federal level. If Obama passes executive orders there’s no where left to go.

6. david7134 says:

It seems that since Clinton assumed office, we have been fighting our own government non-stop. I am including the Republicans along with the Democrats. Certainly, when you elect what you think is a conservative, their ideals shift as soon as the get to DC. I don’t know about others, but I have had enough. I have become sick and tired of constantly being treated like a criminal, from boarding an airplane to trying to by medication. As a physician, I probably break about 5 laws every time I see a patient. Every aspect of my life and business is regulated and taxed. Then there is the added burden of people trying to take your hard earned money and reputation by filling malpractice actions, even when you go by the book and nothing adverse has happened to the person.

Our country is sick to the point that I see no reason to continue it on life support. If you try to get a conservative movement going , then the religious people jump in and try to push through there moral agenda, thus scaring off others who want freedom. No one seems to desire an agenda to is similar to that of the founding of our country. I predict that this is going to boil over. The gun issue might not be the catalyst, but eventually people are going to understand that their money is worthless and then things will happen.

I only wish we could get a secession movement going while our wealth is still intact. In a few years, that will be gone.

• Gayle says:

David, yes, on a national scale the country is lost.

Our only hope now is on the state level. Become active in your state’s republican or libertarian party. Join whatever secession movement might be active in your state (you might be surprised). Pressure your legislators to insulate your state against the federal government.

Work to move the overton window back to the right in your state; with enough states on board, we can move it nationally… or secede.

7. dnice says:

Or leave the new york and go to TEXAS!

What’s next weapons cannot be fitted use scope or sights? This is really absurd and is all about POWER.

8. Gayle says:

Texas: The Anti-NewYork:

“AUSTIN – State Rep. Steve Toth (R-The Woodlands) has begun the process to file legislation assisting the protection of the Second Amendment of the United State Constitution.

The “Firearms Protection Act” bill would make any federal law banning semi-automatic firearms or limiting the size of gun magazines unenforceable within the state’s boundaries. Anyone trying to enforce a federal gun ban could face felony charges under the proposal.”

• Jean says:

Wrong approach, Texas and other free states should issue or sell from their state armories appropriate military arms, magazines, and ammunition to qualified member of the state militia (that is all non-criminal, non-insane adult citizens). They should be barred from maintaining a record of such sales and transfers. They should also have a trade in program, where I trade in my evil black rifle or parts and get a receipt saying it is no longer in my possession, for immediate credit on a similar weapon.

• Phelps says:

Our state armory is already dedicated to the Texas State Guard, which is not the Texas National Guard. They are the organized militia, and are prevented by law from being nationalized. They answer the governor, and not the president.

• Jean says:

Heh, can’t go three levels deep.

Phelps, I understand. I am referring to regulating ( that is, ensuring they are well armed and supplied) the militia ( that is, the unencumbered citizens of the State).

9. dnice says:

Sorry about our “moral agenda” too. Our bad for valuing life and protecting the unborn from an assault weapon.

• Chase says:

You are an idiot. The only assault weapon being used on unborn children is a doctors clamps and a trash bin to dispose of the abortion in.

• david7134 says:

Many people do not agree with putting morals into the political discourse. I know a number of individuals that would be closer to the Republican party if they would get off the abortion agenda. You see, the issue is dead. Women will get their abortions, legal or not. Also, have you ever seen a child that is not wanted? I can assure you it is not a pretty sight and you would be demanding abortion as an alternative. If you want to make a change, then preach about the moral alternative and get converts, forcing morals has no effect.

But I have one test on the issue. I know people giving and getting abortions. If you feel so much that you are against abortion, then I will give you contact information and you can adopt the children and pay for the medical cost. In short, put your money up. No one has ever taken me up on this offer.

10. HempRopeAndStreetlight says:

NY as a state does have the constitutional power to ruin itself. As it’s productive and brightest flee, it shall reap what it’s harvest.

However, tyrannical overreaches by an imperial president shall not be tolerated by free men. Executive orders violating the second amendment shall be met with a fury that would scare Vlad Tepes.

11. ThankfullyNotInNY says:

Poor Fudds in New York. Bet they thought their 10-round Ruger 10/22′s would be safe. Maybe they should have fought a little harder against this.

• Jason says:

Im from this commie state and I can tell you I dont know a single person who is going to comply with ANY of this B.S. We would All move to Texas today if we could. NYC has destroyed this once great state. Im from the town that Remington built. All my friends and family work at the arms or have worked there. We love guns in Ilion and we will bitterly cling to our assault weapons. As of today about a third of Remingtons production just became illegal. My best friend just bought a house and has twin baby girls and works on the Bushmaster line. his job? bye bye thanks to this intolerable act. Will we rise up and stop this? I know not what others may do, but as for me give me liberty or give me death!

• ThankfullyNotInNY says:

I hope you guys are able to put a stop to this madness. You will have friends from elsewhere backing you up, to be sure.

• Thomas says:

Jay, you know I have your back. Please dont think that all of us from new york are like Cuomo. We will need help from out of state for the battles ahead of us. Molon labe

• Naturalist says:

Ok, you go first. I say this facetiously. Although I agree wholeheartedly Jason, I do not see this anytime soon. If you start, not many will follow. No facts here, just a hunch.

12. Roadkill says:

If I’m not mistaken is says 10rd mags will be grandfathered, but you can only load 7 rounds in any magazine. Anything over 10rds that was grandfathered in is no longer legal though.

So much for the concept that 10rd mags and grandfathering is a stopping point. This is proof to the damn Fudds that they’re going to be fucked with the rest of us.

13. Gayle says:

Send this to your state senators and representatives – and ask them to introduce this legislation in your state, if they haven’t already:

14. A says:

Let New York be a warning to us all. The birth state of the Rodgers Rangers….gone

These people are playing for keeps. They are deadly serious. New York, short of a miracle, is lost. Civil Disobedience. Not registering. Perhaps some lawyers will get clever….these rights are gone and I am not sure what will bring them back. Ever.

And now we sit here, like a bunch of girls waiting for the phone to ring, to see what President Obama has in store for us tomorrow. Texas Congressman Stockman will file impeachment articles if the President pushes the line with the Executive Order. Please write your legislators to ask them to support Congressman Stockman. Short of that, in all honesty, I have no idea what else to do.

These events have been a long time in the planning by many legislators and the time is now here.

15. Ouroboros says:

ATTENTION!!!!!

Apparently if you own over 3 firearms…you can be brought up on charges….explained in this video:

It starts around 2:30

16. Ouroboros says:

“New York is a solidly-blue state. They love their government. Why would they revolt against it?

To my mind, states like this, and the people within it supporting this kind of madness, are rapidly becoming the Other – the enemy. Sorry.”

Don’t be so quick to doom every New Yorker. Upstate has TONS of conservatives who are pro-gun, including me.

17. styrgwillidar says:

Well, when they didn’t tar and feather Bloomberg and run him out of town over thinking the government should be able to tell you how big a drink you can order or serve, you could pretty much tell the desire for freedom was absent in the majority of that state.

18. A047 says:

Better to be pissed off than pissed on. Protect the 2nd Amendment at all costs.

19. Jeff M. says:

Hi Bob:

You asked the question, “Are there free men still alive in New York?” The answer is yes, there are. I have determined to stand against this tyranny and as a first step, I posted the following on a well known public forum:

The Trampling of Our Liberty

I rarely post anything on FaceBook, especially political opinion. Today is different. I will not remain silent concerning the encroachment of state and national government which is intent on trampling the liberty that my forefathers fought for since the days of the Revolutionary War. I am writing specifically about the assault on our God given rights by New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo, along with a majority of the New York State Senate and the New York State Assembly.

The “NY Safe Act of 2013”, signed into law today by Governor Cuomo and claimed to be the “toughest gun law in the nation” is unconstitutional and in opposition to the God given rights of the citizens of this state. Andrew Cuomo has revealed himself for what he is – a treasonous tyrant who has broken his oath to “support the Constitution of the United States…”

Like everyone reading this post, I was shocked and deeply saddened by recent events in Newtown, Connecticut and Webster, New York (fairly close to my home). I agree that something must be done to prevent these tragedies and I welcome the call of many for rational dialogue that could lead to constructive solutions. However, the emotional response that has led to this hastily written legislation does nothing more than intimidate, harass, beleaguer, and exasperate millions of law-abiding citizens and will only serve to polarize and divide our people while accomplishing nothing that truly helps to solve our societal problems.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution states, “(T)he right of the people to keep and bear arms shall NOT BE INFRINGED.” (emphasis mine). This statement is absolutely clear, but if by some chance, a person does not understand the definition of the word infringed, then feel free to substitute your choice of transgressed, violated, encroached, or trespassed. I will also add the word inconvenienced which is precisely what Governor Cuomo and his political allies have done. And let us remember that the Constitution was not written to give us our rights. No… the Constitution and the Bill of Rights was written to protect our rights, which come directly from God Himself.

May Governor Andrew Cuomo, every state senator and every state assemblyman/woman go down to stinging defeat the next time they are up for reelection and may this onerous and unjust attack upon our liberty be justly repealed and consigned to the trash bin where it belongs.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

My name is (redacted) and this is where I stand!

It’s a small start, but it is a start. By the way, I recently found your blog and want to commend you for being a such a clear voice in these troubling times