The rabidly anti-gun law that appears to be on the fast track to passing in New York will apparently turn you into a felon if you own three or more guns (see update, this bill containing this section was dropped, and another bill was signed into law).
S 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree when:(1) Such person commits the crime of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree as defined in subdivision one, two, three or five of section 265.01, and has been previously convicted of any crime; or
(2) Such person possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell, firearm silencer, machine-gun or any other firearm or weapon simulating a machine-gun and which is adaptable for such use; or
(3) Such person knowingly possesses a machine-gun, firearm, rifle or shotgun which has been defaced for the purpose of concealment or prevention of the detection of a crime or misrepresenting the identity of such machine-gun, firearm, rifle or shotgun; or
(5) (i) Such person possesses three or more firearms; or (ii) such person possesses a firearm and has been previously convicted of a felony or a class A misdemeanor defined in this chapter within the five years immediately preceding the commission of the offense and such possession did not take place in the person’s home or place of business; or
(6) Such person knowingly possesses any disguised gun[; or
(7) Such person possesses an assault weapon; or
(8) Such person possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device].
Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree is a class D felony.
Taken together, that reads:
“S 265.02 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree when: (5) (i) Such person possesses 3 or more firearms.”
No wonder they’re trying to ram this through before anyone has a chance to read it.
Already signed into law. Governor Andrew Cuomo wanted this. Hold him and his allies responsible.
Further update: This section was in S1422-2013. What Cuomo signed today was S2230-2013, so this legislation is not effectively law, at least not yet. S1422-2013 appears to have been discarded.
Now you’ll only be a felon if you keep your factory magazine for your Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 795 and miscount, accidentally loading more than 7 rounds.
Doesn’t that make you feel much better?