Of tyrants and dangerous old men

Written By: Bob - Jan• 01•13

Jerrold Nadler is an “average” elected member of Congress. He represents New York’s 8th congressional district, and has been in office for 20 years. He’s seen little of the world outside of New York City and Washington, D.C.. He did little of note with his life before becoming a politician, and has done little while in office, other than picking up a few titular roles by the nature of his long incumbency. He is reliably leftist in his views, using the Constitution as a cudgel when it serves him, and rejecting it when it doesn’t.

He’s utterly an utterly average, representative politician, which is why this statement is so concerning:

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said only the federal government should have “high-capacity” gun magazines and that the “state ought to have a monopoly on legitimate violence.”

At a Capitol Hill press conference on Wednesday,  Nadler gathered with other House Democrats to push for stricter gun control in the wake of last week’s massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., which left 26 dead, including 20 children.

The lawmaker told CNSNews.com that he not only supports prohibiting the future sale of 10-round gun magazines, but he would like to confiscate high-capacity clips already legally possessed by American citizens.

Historically speaking, most nation-states have had monopolies of violence over their subjects. Nadler’s qualifier “legitimate” simply means that politicians view the violence they distribute as being beyond reproach, while viewing the option of resisting government force as not just illegitimate and wrong, but evil.

We could easily spend the rest of the day (and much of the next) merely listing the governments in recorded history that have used that “monopoly of legitimate violence” to oppress their subjects and commit the occasional genocide against their people. We could point out that this precise mindset is one shared among the educated men of Parliament and the British Monarchy in the 1770s towards upstart Colonials in the New World.

Such an opinion was held in the head of General Thomas Gage when he ordered Royal Marines and Regulars rowed across the Charles River in the dead of night on April 19,1775 to conduct gun control raids from Lexington to Concord. A perversely rewritten history taught by liberal academics in schools these days suggests that the cause of the American Revolution was “taxation without representation.”  A reading of original sources puts that lie to rest.

The proximate, immediate cause of the first American Revolutionary War was an attempt to capture powder and shot, cannon, and community food stores that supplied not just the organized militia of their day immortalized as the “Minutemen,” but the unorganized militia of those too young, too old, and too female to be part of the organized militia of their day. These were the “alarm listers.”

The youngest of the estimated 14,000 that turned out against the Regulars that April morning and fired shots was just 13 years old. The oldest man to fight that fateful day was an alarm-lister named Samuel Whittemore, a 78-year-old veteran of three American wars in the King’s service.

While Lord Percy’s relief column attempted to link up with Regular forces under attack by colonial militias, Whittemore set up behind a low stone wall near his home and attacked the 47th Regiment of Foot by himself.

Whitemore’s aimed fire did enough damage to the column that an assault was ordered upon his position.

Whittemore is documented to have killed one man from this assaulting force with his musket, then killed one and severely wounded another with horse pistols he’d removed from the body of French officer he’d dispatched decades before. Whittemore was in the act of drawing his ornate French Calvary sabre—again, taken from another French officer who “died suddenly” according to Whittemore, more than 20 years before—when half his face was shot away at point-blank range. Whittemore’s horrified relatives watched from a distance as the nearly 80-year old patriarch of their clan was bayoneted thirteen times by the Redcoats, and left for dead in a pool of his own blood.

When his kin came forward to collect his body, they found that despite having half his left cheek shot away, and pierced by 13 bayonet wounds, Samuel Whittemore was attempting to load his musket to fire again on the rapidly disappearing column of Regulars.

A doctor was summoned, and he reasonably concurred that no one could survive the brutal wounds Samuel Whittemore suffered in his spirited defense of his fellow colonists. The doctor treated his wounds as best the primitive medicine of the day allowed, and sent Whittemore home with his family to die in peace.  And yes, Samuel Whittemore did die… 18 years later, on February 3, 1793.

The alarm listers of the unorganized militia—”dangerous old men” as we call them as we teach American heritage at Appleseed events around the nation—are no less important today than they were in the first battle of this young Republic.

Samuel Whittemore was a veteran of three wars and a great-grandfather when he strapped on the most sophisticated weapons technology of his day and went off to war one final time to defend his fellow citizens.

There are many of us too old or infirm for front-line service, and many who have served before and would again, who would without hesitation repay Whittemore’s dedication to his fellow Americans.

It is these citizens whom have purchased the 3 1/2 years supply of standard capacity magazines in less than two weeks, and seemingly bought up every firearm of contemporary military utility made within the past 100+ years.

We are a nation of combat-tested former warriors and untested patriots who have never served, and of active duty servicemen and law enforcement officers who swore an oath to to the Constitution over allegiance to any specific commander or President.

Politicians on both sides in Washington, D.C. are generally very much figures like Representative Jerrold Nadler. They view the government as the United States, not the people. It is how they justify disarming the people to protect themselves. It is how they justify assaults on rights which shall not be infringed upon. They justify tyranny, in hopes of improving their longevity.

The Second Amendment of the United States was never written to protect hunting or target shooting. It was written by men who had just fought a successful armed revolution against the most advanced military of their day, and who wanted to ensure that future generations would be armed with weapons of contemporary military utility in order to stand against the day that once more, tyrants would attempt to consolidate power and lord over the people as their betters.

Our AR-15s, MAC-90s, SKSs, M1 Garands, Mosin-Nagants, Glocks, Colts, and Springfields are implicitly the kind of firearms our Founders want us to have, along with their standard-capacity magazines of 20-30 rounds.

Jerrold Nadler and his fellow would-be tyrants in federal, state, and local governments fear nothing but an armed citizenry, which is why the Founding Fathers wanted us armed against such men, who would establish a “monopoly on legitimate violence” to enslave us.

Any attempt to take the contemporary arms of military utility our Founders wanted us to have, which includes the standard magazines and clips used in these firearms, is an act of tyranny that the Founders would recognize as an event justifying the use of force to retain our freedoms.

Tread carefully.

1. Pitmaster says:

Samuel Whittemore is the man.

2. Russell says:

I should let you guys know this now. (Ahem)

If (or when) the revolution starts … I’ll need to … um … borrow a gun.

• Cole says:

I don’t have a rifle thanks to Cook county’s vague laws. Don’t worry the Feds will have plenty for the taking if things go bad. Besides things like a sawzall can do plenty of damage to the enemy’s war effort.

• Qajaqon says:

I do what I can to get you one of modern type.

from the islands of Washington state,

De Oppresso Libre
      Nous Defions

3. Will says:

This book outlines what kinds of things may be done to Americans who allow themselves to be disarmed by the usual suspects:

• Al Reasin says:

Bill Ayers estimated he would have to eliminate 25,000,000 citizens after his revolution; those he couldn’t convert. I guess he figured he could disarm everyone first. Feinstein is doing the dirty work for the far Left that they couldn’t do with an actual revolution.

4. Rob M says:

Great write up Bob. Did you see the letter penned to Dianne Feinstein by a Marine yet? CNN had it, Big Govt has a interview and the letter is also at Gateway Pundit. I’ll copy below.. it’s excellent!

Senator Dianne Feinstein,

I will not register my weapons should this bill be passed, as I do not believe it is the government’s right to know what I own. Nor do I think it prudent to tell you what I own so that it may be taken from me by a group of people who enjoy armed protection yet decry me having the same a crime. You ma’am have overstepped a line that is not your domain. I am a Marine Corps Veteran of 8 years, and I will not have some woman who proclaims the evil of an inanimate object, yet carries one, tell me I may not have one.

I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America.
    I am the man who fought for my country. I am the man who learned. I am an American. You will not tell me that I must register my semi-automatic AR-15 because of the actions of some evil man.

I will not be disarmed to suit the fear that has been established by the media and your misinformation campaign against the American public.

We, the people, deserve better than you.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Joshua Boston
    Cpl, United States Marine Corps

5. VLM says:

Bravo, sir… well said. If only our history was so truly known by all.
    I traveled here from WRSA and glad I did.
    I’ve hereby re-enlisted myself ~ as an “alarm lister”. 30 yrs ago I took a solemn oath in the USAF and never forgot what I declared.

6. Catseye says:

Actually what should scare them if they had a brain is what we would come up with instead of guns. A whole lot of weapons were tools to begin with, nowadays there are a lot of toys that with the addition of some explosives and shrapnel can be made into killing machines. Can we say Drone War?

7. Catseye says:

Russell you might want to consider a bow or crossbow, an arrow or quarrel kills you just as dead as a bullet and they are generally not on the radar for the gun grabbers. I’m buying a Barnett Quad 4 Penetrator in February. I also like being quiet.

8. Cole says:

It’s clear you’re drawing the line at magazine restrictions. I find it interesting that’s where we are. Many states already have limitations or bans on magazines. And many we already lived through one assault weapons ban, even if it did have a sunset. Don’t get me wrong I completely agree. Any new infringement of our liberty is causation. As you point out in the article, everyone buying up everything feel the same. But I’m wondering how we got here. Have they pushed us too far in other areas? Is it the looming economic collapse? Are the gun grabbers more evil? Or are we just more aware of their actual intent? I guess the long train of abuses and usurpations finally too much for the nation.

• 1911A1 says:

The differences between 1994 and today are legion. The innocence of the 90′s is long since gone-along with any sham of pretense on the left. They have decided that this is their time and make little or no effort to conceal their purpose. I sincerely hope that these shortages show them that they face a nation of patriots rather than sheep, and they back down, but that is becoming less and less likely. We shall see.

• Tino Feld says:

Good question.

We moved from California after the AWB. No fights, no noise, just rented a moving truck and drove off. I stopped on the border of Nevada to relieve myself, but that was it.

We ain’t gonna move again. We’re too old and tired for this crap. I’m as proficient with the Mosint as AR15 or AK47, or a bow.

Stay safe,

Tino

• Rob Crawford says:

For one thing, the “assault weapon” ban was supposed to be about “safety” — and it failed. So we know that “safety” isn’t their goal.

For another, there’s their rhetoric. The unconcealed blood lust we’re hearing from the left would be scary on its own — coupled with their desire to disarm us, it’s fair to assume their intentions AFTERWARDS are not to “live and let live”.

9. Just thinkin says:

Don’t know where i read it recently but a couple days ago i read a post that said something like: “I don’t know what everybody else is thinking but when i read about all of the millions of guns and billions of rounds of ammo bought up in the past few weeks what I see is a country preparing for war.” This is what I see and having been there do not want to see it again but like dad used to say (He is dead now or we’d be cleaning our guns) “You got to do what needs to be done when it ought to be done whether you like it or not.”

• Just thinkin says:

I just read your post re gun stores and found out where I had read about preparing for war. Guess it is an old thing….

• Robert ALexander says:

That’s when I started back at the range weekly instead of monthly when I can, and not just 1 box of 50, usually 100-200-300 rounds a pop, because as Jesus tells us our responsibility is to own and keep a GUN, we need to be trained on using it and with evidence of a Government FEARFUL of the people with GUNS to the point they reject their ungodly mandate of the Constitution (because we should obey the BIble instead) and are clearly breaking every directive in place to maintain peace which is causing FEAR building to a crescendo among all the people I know, the PEOPLE many who’ve never owned a gun before are buying-them is evident that we are living under the old saying — When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny — despotic measures are assured to follow…. the question is, what’s that pebble which will bring us to the proverbial 212° ?

The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

10. Govt says:

Don’t forget the millions of rounds the non military govt agencies have been purchasing.

11. Clay Moore says:

Josiah Haynes was 79, the oldest man to both fight and die on April 19th. Sudbury did not engage British Regulars until a short distance beyond Meriam’s Corner, Concord. In this area, the fighting was heavy as the British Regulars retreated through a narrow gap and were vastly outnumbered. At this location, Sudbury was to lose its first resident to battle, Deacon Josiah Haynes.

Ramseur 2-12

• The Old Coach says:

In 1976 I walked that route with my father, in a re-enactment. Sudbury men had to walk eight miles just to get TO that fight. Other went even farther.

12. david7134 says:

We need to stop talking. With the caving of the Republican party on the economic issues, we know that there is only one political party and it does not represent the interest of the majority of producing Americans. When the gun issue comes up, the Republicans will cave again.

So instead of talking, we need to be setting up committees of correspondence and establishing the base work for changing our government or secession. Structure needs to be discussed and acted on. I have seen enough bitching to last a life time. It has been going on since the 70′s, and still be continue to lose freedom and wealth.

As to the government taking your guns. They will take those of the law abiding citizen. But about 20% of my small city are not law abiding and the cops are already scared of them. So who is going for their guns? And if they have mine, who is going to stop them from coming after me and mine. Don’t even think that the law will help.

Lets quit talking, lets get it started.

• Jean says:

I don’t live in as dangerous a place as you do (any more), but I agree with the sentiment. As one of the bitchers, though – I do have to wonder how we would communicate reasonably? Steganography? BBS? What about after the electronics go down? Maybe we should specifically look into those back-door systems, use normal USPS, and various codes. Inane or meaningless letters, using a stencil to cover the “extra” wrds and reveal the message? One-time numeric codes? Maybe morse code over shortwave radio?

We need to find out how to get AROUND the limitations of the system, hopefully there are a good series of Black Hats who would be sympathetic to our cause. (I’m a performance engineer, I know speed of systems, not hacking and codemaking. But we need our Enigma machine.)

13. Mark Reardon says:

‘the “state ought to have a monopoly on legitimate violence.”’ Is that something similar to “Legitimate Rape”?

• chowthen says:

“state ought to have a monopoly on legitimate violence.” is worst than “Legitimate Rape” because it means genocide of their choice.

14. Jeff Hoser says:

Mr. Owens,

Thank you for reminding me of an incident/individual I’d long forgotten ! ( I can only plead the excuse of onset of senescence as I near my seventh decade.) I’m completely in agreement with your position re private citizens free possession of arms comparable to those used by our “standing army”. What does an honest and responsive government have to fear from its citizens ? OTOH, a dictatorial and oppressive government does, (as it should) have a great deal to fear from armed citizens.

We’re teetering on the verge of a cliff far more destructive than the “fiscal” one making news these days. Decades of insertion of “social awareness” indoctrination, historical revisionism, and “political correctness” in our schools, laws and regulations are bearing fruit. Traditional values, social mores and family unit and social support structures are being superceded by governmental monoliths dispensing largesse without concomitant participatory commitment from the recipient, ( except to vote in a particular way) . But all the stats I can find show the spread between the “givers and the takers” in our socialist paradise is nearing 50/50.

Mix citizen disarmament schemes, impending fiscal crises, and a collapsing economy and what do you get ? I’ve not been a triskadecaphobiac but I’m beginning to think 2013 is going to be a historical year – if someone is left to write its epitaph ! >Jeff

15. Neo says:

“I, (name of Member), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God” (5 U.S.C. §3331).

16. Al Reasin says:

I have been commenting along these lines not realizing the court beat me to it until a commenter on another blog presented it.

DC Court of Appeals decision and a little item on page 53 regarding technological progress vis a vis our rights:
    From the US Court of Appeals, DC decision upheld by SCOTUS in Heller:

“To summarize, we conclude that the Second Amendment
    protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. That right
    existed prior to the formation of the new government under the
    Constitution and was premised on the private use of arms for
    activities such as hunting and self-defense, the latter being
    understood as resistance to either private lawlessness or the
    depredations of a tyrannical government (or a threat from
    abroad). In addition, the right to keep and bear arms had the
    important and salutary civic purpose of helping to preserve the
    citizen militia. The civic purpose was also a political expedient
    for the Federalists in the First Congress as it served, in part, to
    placate their Anti-federalist opponents. The individual right
    facilitated militia service by ensuring that citizens would not be
    barred from keeping the arms they would need when called forth
    for militia duty. Despite the importance of the Second
    Amendment’s civic purpose, however, the activities it protects
    are not limited to militia service, nor is an individual’s
    enjoyment of the right contingent upon his or her continued or
    intermittent enrollment in the militia.”

Pg 53
    The modern handgun—and for that matter the rifle and
    long-barreled shotgun—is undoubtedly quite improved over its
    colonial-era predecessor, but it is, after all, a lineal descendant
    of that founding-era weapon, and it passes Miller’s standards.
    Pistols certainly bear “some reasonable relationship to the
    preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.” They are
    also in “common use” today, and probably far more so than in
    1789. Nevertheless, it has been suggested by some that only
    colonial-era firearms (e.g., single-shot pistols) are covered by
    the Second Amendment. But just as the First Amendment free
    speech clause covers modern communication devices unknown
    to the founding generation, e.g., radio and television, and the
    Fourth Amendment protects telephonic conversation from a
    “search,” the Second Amendment protects the possession of the
    modern-day equivalents of the colonial pistol. See, e.g., Kyllo
    v. United States, 533 U.S. 27, 31-41 (2001) (applying Fourth
    Amendment standards to thermal imaging search).

17. R7 Rocket says:

Hmmm.. Buy a drone. Add a downward facing camera to it to complement its forward facing camera. Build and add a device to it that can drop… water balloons…

• Jean says:

Gasoline and polystyrene in glass conatinares, with flints inside to act as strikers.
      That’s the recipe for Napalm Type B, BTW – Napalm Type A used sawdust. The polystyrene makes it sticky…

18. Matt says:

Appleseed is working. I just wound up here via a link from another blog I follow. That tells me that the word is spreading.