The “Assault Rifle” Challenge

Written By: Bob - Jan• 14•13
An M16A2 selective-fire assault rifle. A real assault rifle.

An M16A2 selective-fire assault rifle. A real assault rifle.

I tried to issue a simple challenge members of the media tonight on Twitter, but I can’t seem to find any takers.

[tweet https://twitter.com/bob_owens/status/290960852134264834]

It doesn’t seem too complex, does it?

Find an example of a murder committed in the United States with a real, honest-to-God, legal, selective-fire assault rifle.

To the best of my knowledge, there have been precisely two murders committed with selective fire or full-time automatic weapons since the National Firearms Act, and both of those were in Ohio in the 1980s.

The Firearms Owners Protection Act outlawed the manufacture of new assault rifles in 1986 for the civilian market. No more have ever been made.

So if real, legal assault rifles haven’t been made in 27 years, and they’ve never been linked to a single murder, what are politicians trying to ban?

1. Ron Bokleman says:

Isn’t it interesting that our Government responded to 9/11 in a manner that created the Department of Homeland Security (such as it is), and the TSA all with increased patrols, all displaying more “Guns” in the process.

The sheeple embraced it.

Yet this same Government tells us now this is not the solution to the issue they created with “Gun Free Zones” that surround our children.

2. iconoclast says:

A homicide committed with a legal fully automatic weapon? Guncite notes two since 1934 and one was committed by a police officer:

Since 1934, there appear to have been at least two homicides committed with legally owned automatic weapons. One was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer (as opposed to a civilian). On September 15th, 1988, a 13-year veteran of the Dayton, Ohio police department, Patrolman Roger Waller, then 32, used his fully automatic MAC-11 .380 caliber submachine gun to kill a police informant, 52-year-old Lawrence Hileman.

3. Bikerdad says:

Correction: I don’t believe that the manufacture and sale of fully automatic weapons to the civilian market has EVER been made illegal.

NYPD, FBI, LAPD, DEA, etc are ALL civilians.

They are not military, ergo, they ARE civilian.

Let us never forget that law enforcement are not military, and more importantly, let’s never let THEM forget it either.

4. HSmith says:

1. You’re making it too complicated. Media idiots think all semi-auto rifles are machine guns. They would never know what “selective fire” means.
    2. I wish I could get my hands on a selective fire assault rifle. I think we’re going to need them sooner rather than later.

5. Jim says:

I would say…David Koresh

…and a .380 submachine gun isn’t an assault rifle

And any assault rifle owned by Koresh wasn’t legal (which was the reason he was targeted to begin with).

• Jim says:

Actually, I was referring to the Koresh/Davidian incident the other way around. If you want to say “legal, selective-fire assault rifle” you really have to look no further than the last citizen murdered by the Government.

6. Paul Duncan says:

Whoever was the last innocent person killed by some SWAT or BATFE thugs.

7. thebronze says:

That’s not an A2. It’s an A1 with some funky A2-type handguard.

But I get your point.

;)

8. A says:

perhaps another question to ask is, ‘how many US citizens have been gunned down by selective fire weapons by Law Enforcement in the last 20 years’.

we’d be counting for a very long time.

9. Steve Skubinna says:

Usually when I mention the scarcity of fully automatic weapons used in crime, somebody earnestly pipes up “West Hollywood robbery!”

When I state that those firearms were illegally modified by the criminals to full auto, their eyes usually glaze over. Because, hey, everyone’s seen Heat, right?