Here’s a sad example of compounded stupidity:
Two people were injured when a shotgun accidentally discharged at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh.
State Agricultural Department spokesman Brian Long said a 12-gauge shotgun discharged while its owner unzipped its case. A law enforcement officer was to check it at a security entrance.
Witness Daniel Peadan told WNCN that a deputy was unloading the weapon at a security check-in area. “I was actually getting ready to step inside the building. I was at the door when I heard a loud pop,” Peadan said.
Mistake #1: Never case a loaded firearm.
If you are going to transport a weapon, unload it, verify the chamber is clear, and insert a chamber flag. In the long history of firearms, no-one has been shot with a gun that had an empty chamber verified by a chamber flag. You should have one (or more) for every gun you own.
Mistake #2: make sure the safety is on.
Unless it malfunctioned, it was off.
Mistake #3: Never point a firearm at anything you aren’t willing to destroy.
Rather obviously, this firearm was not pointed in a safe direction.
Mistake #4: Never pull the trigger until you are on target.
We’re not told if this firearm had the trigger pulled by the person or by material inside the case, but unless there was a mechanical failure, the trigger was pulled when it shouldn’t have been.
Let’s all pray that the persons injured recover quickly and fully, with no last damage.
As for the person(s) responsible for this negligent discharge, they need to face charges. I’ve never encountered a real gun “accident,” just negligent gun handling.