Is the single most effective step in dramatically reducing gun violence in America disarming cops?

Written By: Bob - Mar• 04•13
Guess who is responsible for a huge percentage of the shootings and gun deaths in this nation?

Guess who is responsible for a significant percentage of the shootings and gun deaths in this nation?

Statists always love to display questionable statistics in their quest to disarm the law-abiding citizen, but guess who is responsible for a significant percentage of those being shot?

Jim Fisher, a former FBI agent and criminal law professor, compiled a database of police shootings and estimated that police in the United States in 2011 shot more than 1,100 people, killing 607. Mr. Fisher relied on the Internet to track the casualties, and the actual toll may be significantly higher. (Many police departments are very secretive about their shootings and succeed in withholding either numbers or key details from the public.) Mr. Fisher’s numbers do not include cases of off-duty police who shot acquaintances, such as the recent case of the veteran, married D.C. policeman convicted of murdering his girlfriend and leaving their 11-month-old baby to die in an overheated SUV to avoid paying child support.

According to the FBI, 323 people were killed nationwide by rifles in 2011 — less than 4 percent of the total deaths by firearms. The official statistics are not broken down by the type of rifle, so it is impossible to know how many of the victims were slain with the type of weapons that Mr. Obama classifies as “assault” weapons. Nationwide, 10 percent of the killings with rifles were committed by law enforcement officers, according to the FBI. Ironically, the raw numbers of killings by police are tossed into the firearm fatality totals that some politicians invoke to drum up support for confiscating privately owned guns.

According to the data Fisher has been able to pull together, police are responsible for a very substantial percentage of the number of Americans shot every year, a significant percentage of those killed, and a very significant number of those killed by rifles, including assault rifles.
If the intent of gun grabbers was to pass laws that most directly resulted in the decrease of people injured with firearms, they’d target the single largest group most easily separated from their firearms, or at least reduce the lethality of the arms these public servants are issued. Perhaps instead of increasing the use of military arms, military vehicles, and military body armor by police (all of which encourages the police to act more aggressively), perhaps politicians should instead consider what this militarization has caused.
Compared to the military agencies these weapon and armor packages are designed for, the police are poorly and infrequently trained, with very limited live-fire experience and minimal standards for passing scores designed not to demand officer competence, but to provide the minimal level of legal protection for the agencies for lawsuits resulting from police shootings.

When we have department-issued revolvers, there seemed to be fewer accidental police shootings, fewer shots fired per incident, and fewer innocent bystanders hit. Perhaps it is time to take a long, hard look at the amount of red blood spilled by the thin blue line, and limit their firepower as the first step in reducing gun violence of all kinds.

1. smitty says:

On a local forum I attempted to ask a ‘law enforcement’ officer the following questions:

Please list some orders or commands your conscience or belief system would prevent you from carrying out.

Please list any current laws your conscience or belief system would prevent you from enforcing (or at least place them at the bottom of the priority list).

Please list any currently proposed laws your conscience or belief system would prevent you from enforcing.

I’m still waiting for a response…but I’m not holding my breath…

2. Veeshir says:

My suggestion on sensible gun laws is limiting police to 2 round magazines when carrying, so two +1.

After firing the first 3 they can then reload with standard capacity mags if they need more.

A lot of police shootings are when one opens fire and all the rest in the area just start emptying their mags.
    Results are usually 90 rounds fired with maybe 12 hits.

If it saves just one life, it’s worth it.

3. Orion says:

Not going to happen. They will INCREASE their militarization and police firepower – and their scope.

As I’ve said before, when – if ever in history – have you seen a government voluntarily reduce it’s power?

Bueller? Anyone?

Orion

4. Klingonwork says:

It does not matter the facts, nor does it matter the figures, nor does it matter the statistics. It does not matter if it were in a book of the Bible, and it would not matter if they themselves proved themselves wrong.
    The left, with zealous religious ferocity, has an agenda which they will never let go and never surrender. They will not stop, EVER, trying to tell you what’s best for you…and that my friends is the very core, the very essence and foundation of their philosophy. You making your own choices, making your own destiny is antithetical to their worldview of utopia and nirvana. They will never acknowledge that they are human and can make the same mistakes we will in choosing for us.

This is a struggle that has its timeless roots in good vs. evil. Good gives choice, evil does not. Am I saying the foundation of the left is poured with the concrete of evil? Let me be absolutely clear on this for the benefit of the socialists who read this page.

Yes, I am saying that.

Now for those few socialists and leftists who have are not curled up on the floor frothing at the mouth in a fetal position after reading the above sentence, please be warned…we will NOT give one more inch. You see, we have made a choice for what’s best for us, for our families, and for our country.

Molon Labe

5. Clay Moore says:

Newsweek has reported that law-abiding American citizens using guns in self-defense during 2003 shot and killed two and one-half times as many criminals as police did, and with fewer than one-fifth as many incidents as police where an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal (2% versus 11%).

6. eddd7 says:

I read in one study, perhaps John Lott’s, that a citizen with a concealed carry license was four times less likely to commit a gun related crime than an off duty cop. Four times less likely!!

7. david7134 says:

I would be in favor of disarming cops. There is no reason for them to be carrying the fire power that they do. Also, the use of tactical uniforms and other devices gives the message that they are fighting the citizens of their country and not protecting them. Certainly we have no need for SWAT. Then consider getting rid of our stupid drug laws and the war on drugs. This would empty the jails and significantly reduce gang and terrorist activity.

8. Timmeehh says:

david7134 said basically what I was going to say. So I’ll just add, the English Bobbies are unarmed, police should only be issued guns under special circumstances. If the police need to apprehend violent criminals they can recruit a posse from the community.

9. Cole says:

We could probably eliminate gun violence AND gun control by rounding up all the leftists and shipping them off to another continent.

10. Parker says:

Disarm all of them starting with the Secret Service and all other federal goon squads. County and city cops get the Barney Fife rule of one round in the shirt pocket.

11. IMR4895 says:

Uh, OK.

This after your support of the way law enforcement handled the Dorner “capture”?

Don’t get me wrong Bob, I greatly enjoy your well written articles but I’m wondering if you wrote this one to appease those you angered a couple weeks ago with the article that had people at odds with you and each other in regards to how that situation was handled.

Perhaps you are new to my writing, but I’ve long been against the over militarization of police and their tendency to shoot first and ask questions later. I asked back in August of 2012 if the NYPD should be armed considering their propensity for shooting everyone but the guy they were trying to hit, covered the Jose Guereña murder, the Ruslan Zhgenti murder, and the murder of Erik Scott… just to name a few.

As for Dorner, I have not changed my position one tiny bit, and never will. He was an active combatant in a strong position engaged in battle until he chose to commit suicide.

• IMR4895 says:

I am new to your writing. It’s strongly opinionated but I realize that’s what blogs are about.

Yours’ is one I enjoy and forwarded on to my circle of friends, so indeed you gained a few new readers.

Regarding your Dorner column, I won’t argue against your opinion, it’s yours in it’s entirety. I will however question a friend of mine (Police Chief in involved community) in a couple months when he’s up here fishing with me and ask him if that is how he would have handled the situation at the cabin.

Regards, IMR4895

12. Mudlark says:

The question isn’t how many people the police have shot and killed. It is whether they were justified in doing what they did. This is a strawman.

Nearly 1 in 3 state sheriff groups now oppose Obama gun controls….

Death before slavery!

14. George says:

There is no reason police should have any different guns than those allowed of the citizens of their jurisdiction.

Equal treatment under the law is guaranteed by the constitution. We are all citizens whether we’re plumbers, doctors or police. I’m allowed to use MAPP gas to fix my faucet, I should be allowed a 9mm to secure my house. If I don’t need a 30 round magazine while operating alone a cop doesn’t need one while operating with multiple unit backup.