Unemployed astronaut turned gun-grabber busted purchasing same guns he wants outlawed

Written By: Bob - Mar• 10•13
Former astronaut, and gun-loving/anti-gun-for-pay hypocrite Mark Kelly.

Former astronaut gun-loving/anti-gun-for-pay hypocrite Mark Kelly.

I never found Americans for Responsible Solutions, the anti-gun group founded by former congresswoman Gabbie Giffords and her unemployed astronaut husband Mark Kelly, remotely credible.

They were both seen as very pro-gun until Giffords was shot in an an assassination attempt, and their anti-gun organization always struck me as a cynical and contrived money-making gimmick to dupe left-wing foundations out of grant money. Today, that seems to be even more the case, as Kelly was busted wagging his finger at gun owners with one hand, while filling out a 4473 with the other:

Kelly reportedly bought the AR-15 and a 1911-style semi-automatic pistol at a gun store in Tucson, Arizona.

Breitbart News received a tip on this when Neil McCabe, editor of Guns & Patriots newsletter, contacted us on March 7 and said:

Mark E. Kelly, made purchases which included an AR-15–sometimes described as an “assault rifle”–at 3:30 pm on the afternoon of March 5 at Diamondback Police Supply, 170 S. Kolb Street, Tucson, AZ.

According to McCabe, witnesses to the purchases claimed Kelly purchased “high capacity” magazines as well.

On March 6, McCabe contacted Kelly’s gun control group–“Americans for Responsible Solutions”–and on March 8 they replied that his message had been passed on to colleagues who handle press requests. Breitbart News then began investigating the details surrounding the purchase, including visiting the gun store.

Suddenly, Kelly announced on his Facebook page that he was not going to keep the AR-15, which he has yet to pick up from the store.

Days after making the purchases, Kelly wrote on Facebook:

I just had a background check a few days ago when I went to my local gun store to buy a .45. As I was leaving, I noticed a used AR-15. Bought that too. Even to buy an assault weapon, the background check only takes a matter of minutes. I don’t have possession of it yet but I’ll be turning it over to the Tucson PD when I do.

Testifying to the Senate Judiciary Committee Jan. 30, Kelly had urged senators to restrict sales firearms based on their lethality–a common refrain with other witnesses that day, who argued that semi-automatic weapons, which chamber subsequent rounds as bullets are fired, and other guns with military-style features level the playing field against law enforcement.

It seems rather obvious that Kelly wanted the AR-15 and standard-capacity magazines for himself, and didn’t think anyone at the gun store would recognize who he was, or call him on his hypocrisy.  It was only well after the fact, and after he was called out by the media, that the duplicitous Kelly began trying to weave together a weak cover story.

What a dishonorable man.

1. Dan says:

You’re feeling charitable….

I was thinking, and I’m damn sure many another was thinking: “What an assh*le!”

2. john says:

Dishonorable, yes. “man” is the last noun I would apply to this scumbag though. I find it incredibly interesting that gabby didn’t embrace the whole gungrabbers ethos until after she’d had half her brain shot away. Go figure.

• gogaited says:

Has anyone heard Gabby speak about this “issue?” Is she cognizant? I am hearing impaired so I have to rely on transcripts and I miss a lot of interviews.

• Dan says:

She’s been trotted out for those interviews with her husband, where they’re urged to share and emote all over the place.

But I haven’t listened to her.

She hasn’t any particular wisdom or insight gleaned from being semi blown away by a lunatic who should have been institutionalized a long time ago.

So I can’t really say whether she’s been heard speaking or not.

Regardless, she’s being used, and the hubby is riding it all the way to the bank.

3. Donald Arey III says:

If he was really trying to do as he claims, pointing out how easy and quick an instant background check can be, he could have had international media figures following him into the gun shop with a couple phone calls.

What sane person buys a weapon only to turn it into the police to prove a point, but doesn’t try to use available and sympathetic media to highlight your point?

This may surpass “Gregory-esque” levels of hypocrisy. At least nobody assumed that Gregory actually wanted to keep his show prop, and he didn’t try to claim he was “just showing how easy it is to get a high capacity magazine in D.C.”.

4. N.A. Palmer says:

If he intended FROM THE START to give the weapon to someone else, did Mark Kelley lie on Question 11A on his 4473? And the penalty for lying on a 4473 is….

5. Cole says:

It goes beyond hypocrisy. It’s the mindset of the new aristocracy. Special rules for special people. Feinstein has a conceal carry permit. That Chicago Alderman thinks he can carry a pistol onto a plane. Hollywood and DC elite are surrounded by armed bodyguards. Giffords demonizes rifles while buying one for personal use. In their minds they are royalty. Only the peasants have to follow the rules. Us serfs are banned from owning weapons while they and their knights ride around raping and pillaging the land. Time for that to end.

• Donald Arey III says:

I’d like to point out the irony that the term “bulletproof” was coined in the era of “serfs” and “knights” that you allude to.

6. You mean the ATF wouldn’t just walk one to him?

7. Law dog says:

What a money leaching whore! A true lieing hipacrate ready to take American ‘s money to exploit a nuts actions and pimp out his wife in the process. THANKS NASA FOR GIVING THIS ASS HOLE A ROLE MODEL STATUES!!! Another wast of big government bucks.

8. Klingonwork says:

What a disgrace Mark Kelly has turned out to be. Thank God he is no longer involved with the space program as it is clearly shown he is ruled by emotion. Do you want to be commanded by or advised by someone ruled by un-controlled emotion? Not me. Imagine, Mark Kelly being on Apollo 13…nobody would have lived.

That AR-15 purchase…there’s more to that story…smells funny to me…

Vichy collaborator Kelly will be remembered.

Molon Labe

9. Dave says:

Hey Mr. Kelley, Why don’t you go after the companies that make the mental pills that are causing people to go crazy ? The pills are a factor in just about every single mass shooting. Try reading John Noveske’s last e-mail post. It’s all there in plain black & white. Ordinary ol’ people trading guns ain’t the enemy. The pills caused what happened to Gabby. It’s their fault.

10. Bill says:

And he dumped his wife and children for a younger and prettier Congresswoman ‘Gabby’ Giffords. If he would do that…why should we be surprised with anything else he would do?

11. Parker says:

What a lame liar. I’m a revolver, bolt action, and lever gun guy; but these hypocrites are making me think I need to go semi-auto with dozens of 30 round magazines. Any suggests for an ‘assault’ rifle in 308 that costs under $1,000?

• cloaked in mystery says:

hard to be be had under 1k anymore, but PTR’s g3 clones are good, mags aer fairly cheap too.

G3’s are possibly even more rugged than the ak

ar-10’s are hard to beat for precision, but are costly at the moment.

on the other hand if you live in hostile states the m1a is effectively ban proof, and is even cumo legal if the mag is pinned to 7 rounds.

Join a CMP affiliated club, and get an ODCMP Special Grade Garand in .308 at $995 (plus shipping). As they use en-bloc clips instead of magazines, they should be ban-proof. They are still one of the best battle implements ever devised, and unlike the aluminum and plastic guns manufactured today, these are proven to last 60+ years and will likely outlast all of us with routine maintenance.

Personally, I like the .30-’06 version, but to each his own.

• Dan says:

My FAL cost me $1,799 and then tax. The carbine version of the same weapon cost the same.

I’ve now acquired six 20 rd magazines.

And I’m going to get some 30 round as well.

12. sedona2a says:

Sounds Like a straw purchase to me! Sen DiFi should go after those criminals, wait a minute she’s working with them!

13. thebronze says:

It would’ve been even better if they would’ve waited until he actually took possession of the AR.

• rumcrook says:

Actually it worked out pretty well in discrediting him. His frantic botched response reeks of bumbling fear common when someone is caught red handed and the answer sounds idiotic. Read Anthony wiener

14. Parker says:

Thanks cloaked in mystery, I’m seriously interested as I reload 308 for one of my Mausers that was re chambered. Guess I have some searching to do. I reload 38SPL, 357MAG, 30-30, 8MM, and 308. Still have plenty of primers, cases, and powder to produce at least 2,000 rounds in each caliber. But I’m down to one brick of 22LR and can’t find any in my neighborhood or on line.

15. Joe Mama says:

“I don’t have possession of it yet but I’ll be turning it over to the Tucson PD when I do.”

Can you say “straw purchase”? Sure…I knew you could.

16. fly says:

He went into a gun store and purchased an AR-15 from a licensed FFL. He passed the NICS check, as expected. No story there.

If his intent was to demonstrate how easily it is to obtain an AR, he would’ve purchased it from a private seller — ie no NICS check.

The guy is a fraud and liar.

17. Rob Crawford says:

I think they should clarify their name by extending it: “Americans for Responsible Safety Everywhere”. Then their acronym will be perfectly fitting.

18. Publius says:

Lefties live happy and secure in the belief that because their motives are entirely pure and good and without stain or error, they are excused whatever they do.

And if one of them gets caught publically in a moral wardrobe malfunction, so to speak, he or she will turn over the goods to the cops. After that, they know their media friends will keep up a churn of new stories that will in a week or two push the embarassing episode down into oblivion.

Just you watch.

19. george king says:

Do your Naval aviator friends still talk to you?

20. Dan says:

Everybody does seem to be missing something here though.

Obama’s gun grabbing agenda has caused a massive outpouring for these weapons, before they’re banned.

The very same weapon that this jerk is trying to ban, he also now hankers for BEFORE those weapons get banned.

He knows FULL WELL how they’re determined to ban them and the magazines, because he’s now one of the in-crowd.

What a jerk!

And I didn’t know that “Gabby” was a homewrecker!~

21. David Hidalgo says:

Mark Kelley is guilty of making a straw purchase. When he answered question 11a on the BATFE form, he lied. If he had told his so called truth that he was purchasing it to turn it over to the Tuscon Police Dept. he would have been denied the purchase. Since he obviously answered “yes” to the question, he should be charged with a felony, just like any other criminal. The law applies equally to everyone.

• Donald Conner says:

No, David, the law does not apply equally to everyone. If it did, neither Clinton would never get out of prison. Neither, most likely would a good number of past and present politicians and wealthy people.

If you’re black there’s one set of rules. White another. Mexican another. There is no denying that racism is alive and well at the county and state attorney’s level, where the decisions to charge who with what are made. That, and the cloakrooms where money or favors change hands in order to get a favorable ruling.

It could be paying some grandchild’s college bills. A nephew’s divorce decree. There are as many ways that the corruption can be committed as there are people on Earth. Inside investment information. Selling land for $1 knowing that in a short time a freeway will be approved. or a mall, or an upscale housing development.

If you want to get down and dirty, look at the Kennedy’s. The Old man was a rum runner who claimed he never paid the Outfit a nickel to deliver his Canadian booze. BS!!! You had 3 choices: quit, pay, or die. John was a whoremonger who brought his sluts into the White House, as did Clinton. Bobby was a slut master too, Teddy was a drunk and the same kind of whoremaster his brothers were. Between them there is no doubt they all would have died in prison had they served all the time they would have had coming.

And I’ve always been piqued by this: Since they own an island, there are no police there. As there are no police, and nobody on staff is going to talk, unless they want to rest on the bottom of the ocean, exactly what misdeeds were carried out there? You see, I’m talking about real money and power, the kind that reaches deep into politics, economics, and international affairs. All by just one family with that kind of hubris.

What is lacking here is moral fibre. Jefferson owned slaves and wrote what document? Washington too owned slaves. The slaves of today are the ill-educated, mentally deficient, and just plain bad luck folks. Those family’s worth at least $5 million or more see only a gray background as they go about their lives. We below them have to careful, that we not offend them.

Like Feinstein and her CCW. Cole, you have read your Communist Manifesto and 1984 and Animal Farm very well. All are equal, but first we have to re-educate everybody, and so among equals there must be some who are more equal than others, and that elite will decide which goes to the Gulags and who gets a bullet in the back of the head. After we’ve sorted that out, then we’ll decide who gets what, and there won’t be nearly so many to share with either.