Gatekeepers

Written By: Bob - Apr• 28•13

patriot

Not so very long ago, there was a species of human screech owl. No, it’s true! I remember them vividly. The champion specimen of the species resided on a ditchbank near Crawford, Texas. The call of this creature was never pretty, and yet, the media broadcast it incessantly. Over a number of months, the human screech owl stopped just hitting notes that were sour, and began defecating on everyone that once praised it. And thus the media turned their backs on Cindy Sheehan, and the rest of the anti-war movement soon evaporated into the ether.

Actually, it didn’t. The committed elements of the anti-war movement are still there, but they happen to be an embarrassment to the newer, drone-happy President we’ve had in recent years. The media, in their role as gatekeepers, simply decided the anti-war movement was no longer palatable to the broader cause, and the shunning commenced. The sad fact of the matter is that when you own a large enough soapbox, the voices you project from it shapes the culture that receives the messages, for better or for worse.

Today, I received a reminder of how those messages are shaped not only by what is said, but by what is censored.

Like many, I comment on new stories from time to time, and left several comments in  Washington Post article about the revival of the Senate gun control bills Harry Reid saved and withdrew for future consideration.

In doing this, I made a mistake. I committed heresy.

No, I did not use profanity. Nor did I resort to name-calling or threats. I instead pointed out a history and set of facts that the censors of the Washington Post would rather wash away.

I noted that the recorded history of humanity shows a recurring battle between the power, corruption, and coercion of government, with the will of individuals to demand their sacred liberty. I pointed out that a corrupt government always has the power to make their constriction of rights and liberties “legal,” even as these “legal” acts are immoral, ignoble, and unconstitutional.

I also dared point out the the fact that the first American Revolution was fought because government attempted gun control to subjugate the people, and colonial British refused to see that liberty taken from them at Lexington and Concord, and began an incredible struggle against impossible odds to seize their liberty. These Founders built a new nation based in a revolution in the hearts of men, a revolution of spirit that was never supposed to end.

Alas, this was too much. This heresy of thought—containing no profanity, degradation, or threats—was deemed too offensive to remain in the comments of the Washington Post, and is so no more.

You see, in the end, the gatekeeper that would allow you to access some news that they cultivate and shape are even more effective when they can prevent a free people from expressing truly dangerous ideas.

A Patriot who became our Second President said something that must terrify those now in power:

“The Revolution was effected before the War commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments of their duties and obligations. This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people, was the real American Revolution.” –John Adams, 1818

Those who would censor us today have spent a generation attempting to rob us of that American birthright, that right of freedom and right of revolution that should burn brightly in the heart of every American. They cannot seize that from you, but they will do everything in their power to convince you it doesn’t exist, including denying you the thought such rights exist at all.

1. david7134 says:

This goes through all the media. Have you noticed that the TV interviews of people in Boston are all favorable to the authorities. I have yet to see one interview were a homeowner was upset over being treated like a criminal. Excuse me, we treat criminals better and actually observe their rights. This is not an issue of one party being better than another, both are bad and as long as they follow the script, the individual politicians do not have difficulties.

2. Donald Arey III says:

Isn’t it just a little bit funny that we are constantly exposed to OWS stoners who talk about police brutality and Revolution against “the man” because they are advocating for more government, yet none of the logical disconnect is ever noticed or commented upon?

At the same time, people who are deadly serious and historically accurate are called “fringe” and “extremist”. Our first President was a Revolutionary extremist, but isn’t called so because the victors always write the History.

John Adams (extremist Revolutionary) ostracized himself from his own community by defending the soldiers of an *actual* police state from Murder charges. His morality and loyalty were surely called into question by his contemporaries, but he took a stand on the rule of law and won. He eventually helped found and lead our Nation. ( I would go on but I have only seen that far into the movie and do not wish to further be-clown myself)

This country is full of people who “do the right things after having explored every other possibility” to paraphrase someone smarter than me. I hope it doesn’t take a SHTF moment before that happens, but the evidence increasingly points to that direction in my opinion.

Folks like the people who run with the power crowd in DC won’t ever admit that which is obvious to anyone who cares to inform themselves independently. This economy is on life support and the real crash is just around the corner, once Obamacare makes “health insurance”an Oxymoron.

Why else do you think startups and small business people are not hiring and the rest are just limping along to pay the bills? The Economy is so good, congress is talking about importing 11 million(?) new criminals/voters. The entire country wants to unilaterally disarm AND bankrupt everyone who dares make more than 250 grand a year before taxes if you listen to “the media”.

The Real World knows they are being lied to every day, or at the very least, misled. I’m sure your comment wasn’t the ONLY one “censored”.

3. Mt Top Patriot says:

Well Bob, me thinks their comfort zone of tyranny is going up in a puff of smoke, as only what happens to liars and usurpers, lickspittles and traitors, when the people have had enough of their steenkin’ bullshit.

I think the powers that be are very worried about an uprising and revolt.
    Well they should be.
    I think they know perfectly well the growing discontent and contempt that is held for them by a large number of American’s.
    I think they know they have created a disaster socially, culturally, politically, economically, through the rape and pillage of our prosperity and inherent wealth, that only they are accountable.
    I think they know what they have wrought.
    And I think they are afraid of the bitter harvest come to fruition they have sowed.
    I think they have created a Gordian knot of epic proportions.
    I think their hubris and unchecked power has corrupted them in such a way there is no turning back for them. There is only defeat for their kind. Corruption of every kind entrenched to such a degree it is a political pandemic of avarice for power running rampant.
    I think they will do anything to retain this power.
    I think soon there will be no limits whatsoever on the crimes and treason committed openly with abandon for any avenue to retain power over the rule of law.
    Panic has crept into their actions. You can already see it manifest itself in radical and reactionary acts and behavior of these treasonous scum ruling through their political power and monopoly of violence.

I hold the powers that be are afraid of something. Deep down in their guts.
    These tyrants crooks liars, thieves, and traitors, lording their ways of corruption and moral turpitude against us.

This is a fear that haunts their dreams, a fear that permeates their waking hours, fear that influences every move, it is a fear that compels them, “Forward!” The key thing is they are beginning to panic. It is manifesting itself in the lawless disregard of The Rule of Law that is expanding exponentially by the day through the nature of corruption of these elites lust to retain absolute power. For how can these self appointed lords ever understand how us lowly serfs see our Liberty and Prosperity as more important than what these elites think we deserve? Would they not be tyrants if it different?
    But one thing all tyrants understand is threats to their power. And what other threat, (except for their own kinds insatiable lust), exists within the borders of this Republic?

I think they are afraid of us.
    Afraid of us having arms because, they are afraid of what we could do to them, because of what they are doing to us.

They should be afraid.
    I hope they are afraid.
    Very afraid.
    They should have to be in dire straights for their lives and liberty, out of fear they should have to seek the same protections the Constitution and bill of rights affords us.

As TL Davis succinctly put it, and only becomes more the truth every day:

“It is not ours to restore the power of the Constitution. It is ours to show them the wrath of America without the protections the Constitution offers them.”

“Let them restore it to find refuge from us.”

4. rasputin says:

If the economy is on “life support”, how come the California economy is and has dramatically recovered?

• Chuck says:

With well over 9% unemployment, slowing growth and record debt/deficits, how do you figure? Is somebody paying you to post this nonsense?

• Rasputin says:

Chuck,
        Are you familiar with Calculus? It was almost 12% 3 years ago. Now it is down to 9%. That’s a 25% decrease in UE.

House prices in CA are moving up, demand is up, State revenue is up, etc.

Look, I’m not for Red Team, but I also am sick of the lies and propaganda from the Doomers, like KD.

It’s called being intellectually honest.

• Rob Crawford says:

Has the California economy “dramatically recovered”? Where’s the real evidence?

• Rasputin says:

Yeah, sorry, you ever look at what is happening to the price of Housing in L.A. the last few months?

Tax revenue? You look at that?

Or are you a Doomer that can’t admit you were wrong about CA?

I despise the nazis in this state, but I’m not going to lie to myself, like many in the 3% movement will, just to get through each and every day.

• chowthen says:

Taxes was just raised in the state of CA my friend, it’s called proposition 30 or something where even sales tax was raised. Perhaps you haven’t noticed because you don’t work but your take home pay to pay for the beans is down from last year which means you’re reducing the beans for your kids. Just because you haven’t heard mention about the state deficit doesn’t mean it’s not there it will be back next budget. Home prices surely has gone up I just don’t know who’s buying them because the demography has changed to bunch of non English speaking people and I don’t know where their income is coming from. Perhaps they’re bunch of Chinese which is my observation in my neighborhood where the people moving in are non English speaking Chinese.

Never the less I’m glad a native Mexican like you living in CA is doing so well. Perhaps because you don’t contribute.

5. PubliusII says:

Suggestion: post the text of your comment here, and let your readers each post virtually the same text themselves at the site.

“Flood the zone” as the phrase has it.

6. RockHard says:

It wasn’t truly gun control but powder control that the British sought when they marched to Concord in order to seize the contents of the powder magazine. The same thing is now occurring with the ammunition shortage. The government is using the same tactics and is attempting the same scheme in order to deprive us of our powder.

And it wasn’t the British intent of taking away the colonists’ powder that began the revolution. It was a long line of laws that were passed by Parliament against the colonist through the years, culminating in the confiscation of powder magazines, that led to the change in mind and spirit. The powder was simply the straw that broke the camel’s back and changed the war from mind and spirit into a manifestation of physical and resolute force.

Upon adoption of the Declaration of Independence on the 4th of July 1776, John Adams stated:

“When I look back to the year 1761, and recollect the argument concerning writs of assistance in the superior courts, which I have hitherto considered as the commencement of the controversy between Great Britain and America, and run though the whole period from that time to this, and recollect the series of political events, the chain of causes and the effects; I am surprised at the suddenness, as well as the greatness of the Revolution: Great Britain has been filled with folly, America with wisdom.”

7. john says:

Interesting symmetry to this story. The place where our liberty was born has become a city of cowards frightened into voluntarily surrendering their most basic civil rights because of a couple punks. I hope bostonians are proud of themselves. I for one think it’s almost fitting that liberty returned there to die, considering the way the cheer on their oppressors.

It is way pass time to fertilized the liberty tree!

Death before slavery!

9. Jaynie59 says:

What I find frustrating is that it’s the so-called “conservative” blogs and sites that do the most censoring. I’ve been banned by most of the top conservative blogs. Hot Air. The Right Scoop. Legal Insurrection. I’ve lost track. Why have I been banned? Because I’m not “polite and courteous” to liberal morons and I call out the bloggers when they pile on true conservatives like Rush and Sarah. The collective piling on by these Beta Male Dickless Wonders after Tuscon and Sandra Fluke was disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

By contrast, I had to actually work at getting banned at Mediaite. It was a little experiment I did just to see what it would take. I never used profanity, but I was rude, crude, and insulting to liberal commenters. Nope, not enough to get me banned. What finally got me banned was when I posted a comment about Tommy Christopher using a pseudonym. That’s not his real name, it’s a pen name. WHACK. I was banned in about 10 minutes.

I miss Andrew Breitbart so much.

FU #WAR

• Rob Crawford says:

That’s nice. Do you have a point?

• Kevin J Kehoe says:

Hot air is not a conservative BLOG , they think they are but anyone Who thinks Romney would save the Day Aint conservative.

There are some members but Michelle aint but a plant and paid stooge for someone. Sure Michelle, Electronic Voting is secure.
        Rush may be conservative but He is about the Money first like most if not all of them.

Don’t ruin their paycheck, cut off the money and see who walks.