Light hiker

Written By: Bob - Apr• 25•13

I decided to see if I’d truly whipped the POTS I was diagnosed with late last summer with a little afternoon jaunt. You see, in August of last year, leaning against the wall was enough to send my pulse racing to 140 beats-per-minute and turn my legs into jelly. It also forced me to take two hour naps in the middle of the day to function at all. It’s not as much fun as it sounds.

Never exactly one to ease myself into anything, I prepped a light daypack of 15 lbs and went for a solo five-mile hike at a nearby park. It wasn’t climbing Kilimanjaro, but considering I was getting my butt kicked going up a flight of stairs 9 months ago, I was tickled that I made the trip without even getting seriously winded, in exactly 2 hours. We’ll see what my legs think about this sudden and unexpected abuse tomorrow, but for now I am very happy.

I did get a nice photo of a trailside sign. Anyone able to guess where I was?Update: I was at Harris Lake County Park, on the Peninsula Trail, which I suspect would be a good spot to mix fishing in with the hiking, due to the number of small ponds along the trail and the lake itself.

A "finger" of Harris Lake from Peninsula Trail.

A “finger” of Harris Lake from Peninsula Trail.

And of course, the reason for the sign and the three-eyed fish, Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant.

Shearon Harris cooling tower. The reactor building is to the left in this photo, and obscured by trees.

There must be an on-site shooting range facility for the security team, because I heard sporadic weapons fire to the right of the 523-foot-tall cooling tower the entire time I was on the trail.

1. Kevin Kehoe says:

Sounds like another bull shit syndrome caused bye the Evil removal of Iodine and adding of bromine in foods and medicines.

Increase your intake of Iodine and Selenium to a Minimum of 12.5Milligrams a day watch for Detox of Bromine and other heavy metals
    Research Himalayan Salt and Lugols.

• Ali_Gator says:

That long winded wikipedia description would seem to boil down to a couple of simple ideas: nerve cells are not functioning as they ought to. There is insufficient blood volume in circulation.

A condition called hyponatremia (low sodium) can produce these effects.

“Hypervolemic hyponatremia, wherein there is decreased effective circulating volume (less blood flowing in the body) even though total body volume is increased (by the presence of edema or swelling, especially in the ankles). The decreased effective circulating volume stimulates the release of anti-diurectic hormone(ADH), which in turn leads to water retention. Hypervolemic hyponatremia is most commonly the result of congestive heart failure, liver failure (cirrhosis), or kidney disease (nephrotic syndrome).”

I am no MD, so use your own judgement. It’s possible that you’ve been a little too vigilent in controlling salt intake. Use the salt shaker and see if you don’t feel better. It certainly won’t do harm.

I thank you guys from your help, but the cause of my POTS (like my once-upon-a-time allergy to sunlight… don’t ask) could not be determined. I’ve always gone through salt like Taylor Swift goes through metrosexual boyfriends, so I know that isn’t it.

In any event, I seem to be whipping its butt, so I’m happy.

2. lineman says:

Were you close to a power plant?

3. JTwig says:

Wow, you were able to get close! I was watching Al Sharpton the other day, and learned that at that range you could have used a .50 rifle and a single round to collapse that entire cooling tower.

Scary stuff.

4. NotClauswitz says:

A Doomsday Tower! I’d get a bit flipped-out if my ticker went tachya, that sounds like it might trigger (in me anyhow) the onset of an adrenalin-rush panic attack. Keep calm and stay hydrated.