FL PD Glocks no-go bang-bang?

Written By: Bob - May• 14•13
Firing pin issues?

Firing pin issues?

There are few things worse for a duty gun than failures to fire, and apparently, one Florida police department is not happy with their Glocks:

Obtained by CBS4 News, the confidential sheriff’s department document outlines a series of incidents in which problems with the Glock firing pin caused the gun to malfunction and not fire.

Issued by the department’s armor, or gun expert, the March 13 report is titled simply: Firing Pin Issue. In each case where there was a misfire, the gun was taken apart and the firing pin was found to be cracked or chipped.

The report includes photos of the failed firing pins.

The problems were found primarily in the Glock 40 caliber, but also showed up in the 9 mm. So far all of the incidents occurred during training exercises. There have been no reports of the firing pin failing in the field.

No firearm is perfect, because they are used and made by humans. That said, this is the first time I’ve heard about this sort of issue with Glocks, and it is apparently widespread enough in this department to be noteworthy, and not chalked up as being a fluke.

1. Right_2_Bear says:

Is there a link to the report? I’m interested in knowing which models/gen had issues. thanks.

There is when your host remembers to post it.

Fixed. :)

• Right_2_Bear says:

Thanks. Yeah interesting, I wonder if they are using some hot reloads due to the ammo shortage?

Glock certainly is not infallible, but the PD is too quick to assume it is a gun defect. Personally I would not change the striker unless there was something definitely wrong with it.

2. Orion says:

Bob, you’ve got enough on your plate without worrying about links, methinks…

I wonder if these firing pins are modded to ‘imprint’ on the casing?

3. David says:

I know my local PD had issues with 40 cal Glocks and went to 45 ACP Glocks. Another larger PD in the big city went to S&W M&P 40 cal and went away from Glocks after misfire issues.

4. Cole says:

When the Gen4 9mm Glocks were coming out there were complaints about the recoil springs. But firing pins on the 40 and 45? News to me.

5. Robb Allen says:

An even better story – The Fl. State Troopers decided to switch to the 45GAP because they got a great deal on the guns.

Now they can’t afford the ammo for practice and are looking at switching back.

Your tax dollars at work.

6. Klingonwork says:

Obviously they should have taken Clueless Joe’s advice and made those bullets out of chocolate…

Molon Labe

Glock sure are a piece of crap!

Warhorse with nearly 300,000 rounds under its belt—and still kicking!

I like what one guy said on this blog:

“I show my Kimber to my friends and my Glock to my enemies”

Death before slavery!

8. twolaneflash says:

Manufacturing sometimes substitutes a part from a different source that proves inferior. Years ago, my employer bought thousands of laptop computers, but it turned out they had chips from two suppliers in different countries. The laptops with the inferior chips were prone to malfunction. I’m sure Glock is looking into its parts suppliers.
    My son, a senior weapons sargeant on a SF A-team, and his battle buddies, swear by Glock 9mm. 9mm because if you have to resupply in the field, you are more likely to find that round than any other. Glock because if you need parts, you are more likely to find it than any other handgun. The A-team members have years of experience and know firsthand that the right 9mm round will do the job, you get more shots, and its lighter to carry. The Glock is an easily maintained reliable weapon that will take abuse and still operate. I wonder if FL PD wants to sell those Glocks cheap?

9. Critch says:

I’m betting on a bad run of firing pins…I worked in AMMO and supply in the Air Force for years and the numbers of recalls by lot numbers on almost every conceivable part for planes, guns, computers, etc was astounding..this is why we have lot numbers, to pinpoint problems..I trust my Glock and I trust them to find the problem..