It’s a crime. Because they say so, that’s why.

Written By: Bob - May• 30•13

It looks like the Senate of the People’s Republic of Coastal California is shredding the Constitution again:

Spurred by mass shootings in Connecticut, Colorado and Arizona, the California Senate on Wednesday approved seven bills to tighten regulations on guns and ammunition.

The measures would:

• Outlaw detachable magazines in rifles and so-called button bottoms;

Prohibit magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

• Require background checks for all buyers and sellers of ammunition;

Reclassify certain shotguns as assault weapons;

• Require all gun buyers to take a firearm-safety certificate class;

Expand crimes that would result in a 10-year ban on owning or buying firearms. Additions include drug- and alcohol-related offenses, hazing, violations of protective orders and court-ordered mental health treatment.

The legislation cleared the Democratic-controlled chamber on party-line votes. All Republicans voted against the measures; four Democrats voted against the ammunition background checks.

* * *

Several months ago, rogue former LAPD cop Christopher Dorner went on a murder spree, killing innocent people and ambushed cops during his mayhem. Bizarrely, he still attracted a shockingly significant number of supporters. I read numerous comments on Twitter of those who felt his actions at least somewhat justified by the allegedly rampant corruption of the LAPD. For a time, he was a folk anti-hero.

Now, imagine if an individual similar or superior to Dorner in training (which wasn’t great, but he understood police tactics and procedures and apparently had some military small arms courses) had a more obviously righteous cause, such as the preservation of the Constitutional rights of Americans.

Suppose—and this is an intellectual exercise, not a call to arms—such an individual targeted legislators and other government officials creating such tyranny, was careful to avoid collateral damage, and published a manifesto of justification that drew unflinchingly from the Constitution and Bill of Rights, explained the Right of Revolution, and otherwise built a congent, intelligent, emotionally-relevant explanation for his actions?

What sort of support do you think he would find among the population at large, a population that already feels Sacramento is a cesspool of corruption running roughshod over individual liberties? I suspect such an individual would still be well outside of the mainstream, but that such an individual allegedly acting on behalf of the people would still draw far more support that an ex-cop angry about the way he was treated as an individual. After all, Dorner acted as an individual and people who felt oppressed by the LAPD still chose to live vicariously through him.

An individual echoing the words of the Founders themselves on behalf of all the people might possibly inspire active support. If some of those supporters begin to mirror his actions, we’re facing a potential Unintended Consequences and Katie-bar-the-door, because there is no guarantee that such a revolt would stop at the state line.

What’s going on in California is the sort of naked political power grab that inspired men to form units for the protection of their communities, and drew them out on an April morning long ago to confront those who would deny them their rights. Of course, the oppression isn’t confined to California, as regular readers well know.

As various corrupt statist governments keep pushing at an current accelerated pace to deny citizens their individual liberties, they push us all closer to a tipping point. Obviously, they think they can redefine America by pushing “legal” remedies to the “problem” of freedom.

The question, of course, is whether comfortable Americans still have the sand to stand against such naked tyranny. It’s time for citizens to think long and hard about the differences between what is “legal” according to those making today’s laws, and what is right, moral and constitutional that our Founders shed their blood and tears to create.

I don’t expect you to answer me here, but I ask for you to look in your hearts, and decide where you will stand when tyranny approaches.

1. Kevin says:

Small correction, it is Bullet Buttons, not Bullet Bottoms…

It is not just the background checks for ammo purchases, it is a defacto ban on internet ammo sales and requires not only a background check but fingerprinting also, just to buy a brick of 22lr. We here in California are doing what we can, but unfortunately we are outnumbered by those on the take.

It is up to those of us classified as being in the middle class to fight for our rights. The elites will not, they wish to reduce our rights to secure their position and status. Those on the bottom will not fight because they depend on, and expect, handouts from the elite to sustain themselves. It is a unique symbiotic relationship between two different types of parasites. I can only hope/dream/wish that this will ultimately be struck down in the courts as unconstitutional, otherwise I will become a criminal overnight. I will be the proudest criminal in history however, for I will be on the righteous side.

When a culture goes against freedom what ensues is a counterculture for freedom fueled by a black market.

Where the fascist have a problem is that this liberty counterculture will be armed and willing to stand up for their rights; it is just a matter of where lines will be drawn and who is willing to die for what.

Death before slavery!

3. Frank Giampetro says:

A leader needs to rise. Someone on the national scene who will be a Washington for todays conflict.

I fear we are fragmented, we are divided and untrusting of each other…Lets not forget the fool who called for an armed march on DC for the 4th of July… Talk about trying to start a shooting war! And he had a TON of support… That should make everyone nervous.

What makes it worse, typically, we are also the responsible ones with jobs (or actively searching)to support our families…Who is going to leave their family for a “maybe” or a “possible”? Or how do you know that the person you choose to follow isn’t another “DC march organizer”? Are you willing to bet your life & your family with this many questions?

I believe that we are a larger movement than most give us credit for…If we were properly organized on a national level, we would be one hellofa force…

4. Cole says:

Amen Bob.

“Frankly, that is the sort of violent response that should have happened in Germany in the 1930s as Nazism came to power, but the German people were far more occupied with the thought of doing what was legal, instead of doing what was right.”

See this is what worries me. By this point the Founders were openly protesting, dumping tea, tar and feathering officials, and seizing munitions. What are we doing?

5. Scott B says:

I am law abiding, as long as I can abide…but once TPTB by legislative fiat turn me into a criminal, I intend to earn it.

MOLON LABE

6. joe doakes says:

Here’s the fundamental question: can you imagine ANY set of circumstances under which you would be willing to take up arms against your own government?

If the answer is Yes, then logically, you should be demanding the right to own weapons at least as good as the ones the police and military will be using to suppress your rebellion; otherwise, your effort is doomed before it starts and you might as well answer No.

If the answer is NO, if no amount of taxation, confiscation, concentration camps, rape rooms or death squads would be sufficient provocation to arouse you, then you don’t need the Second Amendment. Or the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth . . . because you’re willing to be treated as the lowest peon in any Third World Country.

7. Cletus O'Bannon says:

The founding fathers had more fortitude as individuals than most modern men do combined. I for one am tired of the trampling of my rights and the rights of others. I would join a revolt even though I have a family, a job and responsibilities.

Ironically the founding fathers had those very same things. They were farmers, lawyers, husbands, fathers and upstanding citizens. They knew that the choice they made could very well end with them swinging from the gallows… yet they made the RIGHT choice, even as fear nibbled at their hearts they stood tall and did what was right.

I am not a leader (though some say I am) so I am not the man to start the fight, but I am willing to continue and finish it. But I fear that the fortitude and selfless sacrifice needed is all but gone from our society. So sadly we will watch as the Germans did, our great nation die from the poison within our political system and do NOTHING to stop it but whine a bit online.

• Real Deal says:

Cletus I believe you are doing many modern patriots a disservice. We live in a vastly different world from that of the Founding Fathers. One that by it’s very nature binds us with chains to our “lives”.

The totalarians in government have been long laying the foundations for this day. They have bound us tightly to the yoke with debt that is necessary in today’s society. Want a chance at a decent job? Student Loan debt. Want a house or car? More Debt. Then we get to credit cards, 30 years ago most people didn’t have one or any more than one and it was for emergencies and/or travel where carrying csh would be unwise. Now you need a credit card for so many things. We are awash in debt as a people because it binds us tightly to the yoke. Personally I carry little debt beyond that of my house and my wife’s car.

Next, they have destroyed most support systems in the last 50 years. Family, community, and church are all eroding heavily and in many places are completely destroyed. Who will look after your family when you are away? How will they survive when your income is gone and the bank comes for the house? Heck, even the taxes are higher and more intrusive now, where I live they just figured out how to tax rain.

There was not an education system that turned your own children against you and your beliefs. Who can you trust? Are your communications monitored? A DoJ or NSA worker could right now be adding this to a dossier on each of us, heck probably is. You head off to join your fellow patriots and your kid relays that to his friends on Facebook, and you all meet Hellfire missiles from Predator drones. The Founding Fathers didn’t face that possibility.

The other thing is organization. Nobody wants to be portrayed as a lone whacko (or small group of whackos) as the MSM will surely portray anyone who starts this.

It’s a different world Cletus, you have to acknowledge that, and the patriots of today face different challenges than those of our Founding Fathers. Also, as I said elsewhere you have to have an idea of “what next?” or you’re like a dog that don’t know what to do with the car when he’s caught it.

• Comrade X says:

To light this fire it will only take a spark to a huge pile of kindling being put in place unknowingly or not by the powers that be whether more than kindling ignites remains to be seen; but IMHO it will be a fire soon to be out of control and who’s ending remains to be unknown except that it will lead to the ending of those in power today.

Death before slavery!

• OC says:

It’s funny you mention debt as a deterrent. Remember your history, of the founding leaders many were the “elites” of the time. They owed huge debts in Great Britain and it was a motivator. Not THE motivator or probably even in the top five but still. History rarely repeats but it often rhymes………

8. Dick (@DicksTrash) says:

I used to feel sorry for the citizens of California, but then realized they voted these tyrants into office. Let ‘em all rot.

• Cletus O'Bannon says:

Not all of us voted for this, not all of us agree with this. The problem is that the liberals have managed to corner power by congregating in areas where they have more clout politically. The other problem is the conservatives lack the fortitude to step up and say no!

Sadly there are conservatives such as myself that do step up but we are shouted down and derided. And when we attempt to rally other conservatives to defend our rights… well we get the same excuses:

“I can’t I have a job!” — So do I.
      “I can’t I am married!” — So am I.
      “I can’t I have children!” — So do I.
      “I can’t because I don’t have time!” — Bull pucky, make time.

• Rock says:

That attitude serves no one. Outside of a couple of coastal megapolises, California is just as ‘conservative’ as most notable conservative strongholds in this country. I choose to stay here, and that is on me. Should I give up my home, my friends, my life, for the sake of infiltrators at my doorstep? I say no. When they are at your doorstep, no matter where you live, I’d expect you to say the same thing. Californians don’t ask for your sympathy. We ask that you stand up for the principles of liberty and freedom, no matter where you live in this great nation. United we STAND, divided we fall.

9. STW says:

I can recall having to sign an ammo log years ago when purchasing “handgun” ammo in California. The nutty state has tried it all before and gave it up, I believe, when someone actually penciled it out and discovered what a waste of time and money it was. Someone may make that “discovery” again but, given how far the state has moved over the years, I doubt it’ll change anything. Happily, I looked at the state’s trajectory on too many issues and left for saner climes long ago. I think that being illegal in California is a feature you could charge extra for.

10. cmblake6 says:

And such is why I will never even visit there.

11. jack says:

Look for a tremendous underground bootleg economy in firearms and ammunition to develop in California, where otherwise law abiding citizens will now become criminals, just like they did during the days of prohibition. Organized crime will have a new market in servicing this new business sector. They will become more powerful as their income increases and they use their profits to buy off politicians, DAs and judges, much as they did back in the day.

12. Brad says:

Rather than violent resistance, expect passive non-compliance. This has been the experience in California in prior years.

The original 1989 assault weapon ban and follow-on registration attempts through 2000 only netted about 10% of the estimated number of firearms that were banned. In other words the California public was ignoring the law.

I recently met one guy in a sporting goods store who didn’t even know he was supposed to register his so-called “assault weapon”. He found out the hard way during a divorce when the cops confiscated his AR-15. He got off easy. I believe unregistered possession is a ‘wobbler’, it can be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or as a felony offense.

For those residents of California who don’t want to suffer under the new restrictions or take the chance of getting busted, they can always vote with their feet and flee to Free America. That is another response which is superior to violent resistance. Although it does promote the Two Americas syndrome, Blue States America vs Free America.

The most practical way to pry the Blue Staters grip off from our rights is Federal Court action. Sadly litigation may take many years if not decades to succeed. And I am afraid some frustrated residents might resort to violent resistance in the mean time. To those people I say escape from the Blue State while you still can and avoid the worst case scenario.

• Rock says:

It will start as passive non-compliance, sure. As it should be, as no one should want open conflict. But don’t overlook the history of the State of Jefferson. Citizens took to arms and shut down the highways and byways. Even set up their own government and elected a governor, flipping California the bird. If not for Pearl Harbor, it probably would have stuck, you never know. It’s one of the poorest areas of the state, also the richest in natural resources, and most bullied by federal and state beaurcracies. People up there are fed up, just like in the 40′s. And the area is chalk full of ‘constitutional sheriffs’. It’s a confluence that wouldn’t require much more of a spark to light.

Luckily, most of the new legislation doesn’t take effect until July 2014 through 2017. So call it a year plus before most of this goes into effect. It’s a last call of sorts.

13. Greg B says:

As soon as I can find another job, that has some decent medical benefits.
    Hopefully in the northeastern KS, or northern AR area, we are out of here.
    Until then, I just keep adding to the stockpile.

14. Scott says:

“Unintended Consequences” great read and along these lines.