Remember Them

Written By: Bob - May• 25•13

I don’t think I have to tell readers of this blog the meaning of this weekend, or why we set aside time to remember those who gave up their lives in battle to secure our sacred liberty. Everyone remembers in their own special way. Some attend ceremonies. Some reflect quietly.

For me, it is one of the few times I actually listen to music anymore.  We’re blessed that there are still a few contemporary musicians with the goal and the talent to properly honor those who died defending our Republic.

These are the three songs that run through my head Memorial Day weekend as I remember the fallen.

Big & Rich — “8th of November”

Trace Adkins — “Arlington”

Tim McGraw — “If You’re Reading This”

I’d list the progressive rock and hip-hop songs that remember the sacrifices of the fallen, but I don’t think there are any.

And yes… I’m going to cry a little. I always do.

1. Don't Forget says:

Bryan Adams-Remembrance Day

True, it’s Canadian and the song was actually written about the WWI armistice of 1918 (which lead to Veteran’s Day in November), but I still enjoy it, and can relate it to all soldiers who have fought and died for Western civilization.

2. RiverRat says:

Arlington is actually performed by Trace Adkins.

3. Larry says:

Another one that always comes to mind this weekend for me is:
    Some Gave All by Billy Ray Cyrus

4. Skip says:

Thanks very much for the music…they also made me cry.

5. Rob says:

Great music and sentiment.

As for a non-country song that conveys the emotions a parent (or other loved one) may fell, check out Five For Fighting’s “Two Lights”.

John Ondrasik is a big supporter of the military. Sadly, one of the few in the popular music field.

6. Rob says:

Great music and sentiment.

7. Jeff says:

I hadn’t heard Arlington before. Made me cry too. God bless the troops.

8. Rick Drury says:

And this will hit you hard, especially knowing the back story behind the song. http://minx.cc/?post=340338