Revolutionary Math II

Written By: Bob - May• 03•13

If you read the Drudge Report this is probably old news to you, but he linked to a poll by Fairleigh Dickinson University yesterday that frankly surprised me. I know many Americans I talk to and hear from on a daily basis are unhappy about the state of the nation and especially the overall direction we seem to be going in, but couldn’t have imagined that so many Americans think a Second Revolutionary War may be necessary, and soon:

Twenty-nine percent of registered voters think that an armed revolution might be necessary in the next few years in order to protect liberties, according to a Public Mind poll by Fairleigh Dickinson University.

The poll, which surveyed 863 registered voters and had a margin of error of +/-3.4, focused on both gun control and the possibility of a need for an armed revolution in the United States to protect liberty.

The survey asked whether respondents agreed, disagreed, neither agreed nor disagreed or did not know or refused to respond to the statement: “In the next few years, an armed revolution might be necessary in order to protect our liberties”

Twenty-nine percent said they agreed, 47 percent said they disagreed, 18 percent said they neither agreed nor disagreed, 5 percent said they were unsure, and 1 percent refused to respond.

Results of the poll show that those who believe a revolution might be necessary differ greatly along party lines:

• 18 percent of Democrats
  • 27 percent of Independents
  • 44 percent of Republicans

If you would have asked me to guess at what the results to this question would have been,  I would have guessed maybe 10%-15% were thinking that an armed revolution might be necessary to restore a constitutional Republic. 29% roughly doubles that, and frankly changes the dynamics of the situation.

This is a poll result I’m going to spend some time digesting. I’m not sure how valid it is, or more importantly, what it really means, or how that may translate into reactions to certain stimuli.

We live in interesting times.

[If you missed it, read the original Revolutionary Math]

1. thesouthwasrght says:

We certainly do live in interesting times: our military has decided to poke God in the eye coming and going both by aiding the avowed enemies of His People and the newly announced persecution policy, here in FL we have a nazi’esque tattle on your neighbor pilot program, we are enabling the invasion of our homeland, and that’s just an appetizer. Oh yeah, we are also buried by an unpayable debt and our currency has been debased. So no, I see little else beyond war, famine, and pestilence in our future.

• david7134 says:

I have some insight into the military and, despite being more conservative than most on this site, can assure you that something has to be done about the religion. Many officers that I have talked with acknowledge, in private, that a religious faction has taken over the military to the extent that if you do not participate in prayer groups and other outward manifestations, that you are passed over for promotion and other benefits. It may seem somewhat beneficial to many that religion is observed, but I see a clear danger as religion is one of those factors that turns normal, honest people into monsters who have the backing of God. Thus, we certainly do not need religion in the military or in our government, we need moral peoplen not forced morality.

• Chuck says:

I’m in the military, and this is bullshit. I haven’t seen anything like the religious clique you describe, nor have I ever, in 20 years, been exposed to overt evangelizing or any sort of pressure to attend worship services. The closest thing to that was during basic training when church was a welcome relief from the stress, boredom and loneliness. Political correctness, on the other hand, IS becoming oppressive and overbearing.

2. Orion says:

I’m surprised it’s that LOW. But that’s also the number of folks willing to be honest with a survey.

So we can figure roughly 30 million Americans are thinking they’ll be fighting the criminal cartel within the next few years.

Kit up, lads. It’s about to get loud.

• Rurik says:

The question is, how many answered the pollster truthfully? And how many kept their cover intact? What should alarm the Ruling class is that so many were willing to respond affirmatively.

• Chuck says:

Agreed. This is probably akin to the gun ownership numbers that are based on polls. How many gun owners will admit to a pollster on the phone that they own guns? Not me. And I usually hang up on telephone pollsters regardless of the subject matter.

3. john says:

Seems a bit higher than %3 to me…..

4. Bannor says:

CA has announced they’re going to confiscate guns from about 20,000 people who purchased them legally but are now barred from owning them. Seems if your wife has sought some psychiatric help you are now barred from having a firearm in your home. So do the people of CA roll over or do a few people make a real mess of this gun grab?

• Klingonwork says:

I’m in LaLa Land but don’t see anything happening unless as I said there is a major trigger event.

People are just too comfortable right now and hopium is flowing in the streets with the unemployment numbers hitting 7.5 this AM. Those that take the hopium needle do not consider the thousand upon thousand no longer looking, and today’s DJIA rally will make the coming crash all the merrier. With that hopium fix, people won’t give a rats derriere about confiscation (I see colors man!).

Again…awaiting a trigger event….

Molon Labe

• Kevin J Kehoe says:

That is right Bro we ain’t got 3 years. the messiah says what in Mexico?

Whose fault is it, Not Holders but it is Americans Conservative gun owners and Christian Terrorists who stoled our land, so take dem guns so we can get back what dey stole.

5. Clay Moore says:

In 1775, 40% wanted Liberty, 40% wanted to be ruled by a King, 20% wanted another drink. Only 3% did anything. How has anything changed?

6. citizen says:

Unless the government changes course and abides by the constitution, the founders were clear as to what steps were necessary. This poll is a recognition of that.

7. David says:

I pray for it to happen daily. It needs to happen. No other way to get the message across. Just waiting for the second shot that will be heard around the world.

8. Right_2_Bear says:

I saw that poll via Drudge. I also wonder about that poll. Interesting (and confusing) bit here: “…38% of Americans who believe a revolution might be necessary support additional gun control legislation..”

38% seems very high and counter to the type of person thinking armed revolution is necessary. I know polls can be dynamic but 38% ?? Something’s amiss here.

9. Jrggrop says:

That’s an awfully small sample group and the fact that is consists only of registered voters skews things – I’m not sure one can draw national conclusions based off of that.

10. Real Deal says:

So you say you want a revolution? Say you get it and win. Then what?

What is to be done with the pigs feeding at the trough of Government? What is to be done with tens or even hundreds millions of Americans poisoned by Leftist/Statist philosophy? There is no England to send the Tories back to. What about all the leftists in Acadamia & Government?

How about the Constitution? Do we tweak it to eliminate certain problematic language or sections? Example, eliminate the whole milita thing in the 2nd and just go with The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed, and this time we really mean it?

I think for many the idea is like an adventure novel, a movie, or a video game. However it is not, there is no reset button. There will be brutal suffering for both the populace and patriots alike. Nor will the issues we face today magically disappear and everyone suddenly be a liberty loving American Patriot. Personal greed and ambition will rear its ugly head, I do not know of a worthy sucessor to Washington. Nor will Socialism/Communism go away, it’s taken nearly 100 years for it to eat away the foundations of our nation, what’s to prevent the same thing happening in 4-5 generations after the SAR? It’s not a simple as just “getting back to the Constitution”.

I believe people need to not only prepare for the hardships ahead but figure out “What’s next?” because we might end up worse off than we are now if we do not.

• PapaSmurf says:

Try L. Neil Smith’s “Down with Power: Libertarian Policy in a time of Crisis” for a few hints.

Got Spooner?

Death Panels for Banksters/Congress/FITB Now!

• david7134 says:

So with the US hell bent on self destruction, you are saying that being proactive and dreaming for a free society is wrong. It is clear that our election process has stopped functioning. In fact, if you think about it, it was not the election of Lincoln that caused the War of Northern Aggression, but the fact that the fabric of compromise and give and take had ended with the split in the Democratic party, Lincoln being election by a sizable minority. We have suffered since. And our election process was fundamentally changed. A unified US has done more wrong in the world since 1865 than any other country. We were on the wrong side in WWI which led to WWII and thus the death of untold millions in Germany, Russia and elsewhere. You could argue that we set up the rise of Stalin and others of his caliber due to our positions. A weaker US would have been better of the last 100 years. Then you take into account the social tyranny from the war on alcohol, durgs and other social or moral elements and you see the horrible results with funding of gangs, crime and terror. In the war on drugs, our government will not admit is wrong and continues a policy that is tearing apart this country and others (look at Portugal to see how removing constraints on drugs improves society). This country is clearly on a path to hell, why stay on the crazy train?

11. Mike in NC says:

The numbers might make more sense if you consider the damage done to the language by our media and education system. I contend that there are now variable definitions of “liberties” to be found across the political spectrum. Most of the readers here will rightly define “liberties” as those enshrined in our founding documents, but sadly a great many in this country will define “liberties” to include freedom from want, freedom from responsibility and the ever-popular freedom FROM religion.

12. louielouie says:

i have to be the stick in the mud, again, huh?

necessary to restore a constitutional Republic.

are you sure the results are telling you that?
    this is farleigh/dickinson?
    from the way the survey is phrased, they may be thinking armed conflict, but i don’t get the constitutional republic part of it.
    could it be they view those who want a constitutional republic as the reason for the armed conflict.
    the far left has been screaming for this for years, but constitutional republic is not what they have in mind.
    i would review those numbers and the wording of the poll a little bit closer.

• Chuck says:

True. I don’t think that 18% percent of Democrats talking about armed revolution have the same goals in mind as the 44% of Republicans. The marxists on the left have been talking about revolution since before the Bolsheviks took over in Russia. There’s nothing new on that side of the spectrum. Where these numbers are significant is the expansion on the conservative/libertarian side of things.

13. Phelps says:

Things like this remind me of a contemporary quote from the Texas Revolution. “Some fought for independence, some fought for the Constitution of 1824, and some fought for anything as long as it was a row.”

14. Kevin J Kehoe says:

Some of you guys are such pussies

or Get the Hell out of the Way.

But do something!

Besides whine I can’t , What if.
    Blah, Blah, Blah.

15. bubba says:

We’re in a lifelong battle for the hearts and minds of our country’s citizens. We need to convince them that they are better off with smaller rather than larger government; so far we aren’t winning that many hearts and minds. We need to be involved in our churches, schools, local government, etc. and show them a different way then the path set before them by the marxists. Too many people feel that it is the governments job to provide for their every need. It’s not too difficult to convince your own family and friends of your views but I don’t know how to convince some strangers who have never seen any other way that it is better for them to feed their own family than it is for the government to take care of them.

16. I am not saying “just do it.”
    I recognize that there are many problems that we can foresee and many we cannot foresee in any action that we take to protect our liberty.

At the same time, that would be true of sitting on our hands, or going along with the crowd. At the beginning of any crisis, it is hard to predict the turning point let alone the denouement.

Should we need to stand and fight, it will be a terrible thing. But I am more convinced every day that this is where we are heading. Unfortunately, we are so far gone that turning course gently may no longer be an option. Perhaps that is what many of the respondents think as well.

To paraphrase a friend, I would ask that this group to put some courage in their bellies. At least by now, each of us should have thought of where the line is for us.

On the day of Sandy Hook I had gone to Show Low with my son to purchase a new rifle, one for him and one for me. I got home to the news, and since my middle name is drama, I decided not to say what I was thinking to my husband, but to ask him first what he thought. (He is my anchor). He is a Navy Vet, a cool and collected engineer. So, as we sat sleepless at 2 AM I asked him:
    What will you do if they come for our guns? He very calmly said: I will not take the first shot, but I will die before I hand them over. So be prepared, darling, to take the third shot.

Where we live, a lot of men are likely saying the same to their wives and sweethearts. It is terrifying to contemplate and yet I felt a great pride in my heart about the man I married.

Long live Lady Liberty!

• bubba says:

The politicians are playing a game with the citizenry’s emotions, but in order for it to work we must play along, so let’s don’t. I’m not yet convinced that they are evil; I think they are just blinded by their ego. I believe they will never come for our guns because the country as we know it would be finished if they did. After the first raid and the first kill the swat teams make the gun owning population will wise up and innumerable reactions will start occurring.

It is prudent to provide for your own family’s protection and that combined with all the others doing the same thing is having a chastening effect on the politicians. The politicians aren’t stupid and do pay attention to what is happening in the country. We might be living in an economic collapse now or not, I’m not smart enough to know. I am a prudent man though and I understand it is only my responsibility to provide for my family; many other right thinking Americans are doing the same.

• david7134 says:

Remember the boiling frog analogy. That is what they are doing. You just have to understand they are gradually increasing the temperature of the water.

• Boy says:

I agree with your husband. I’ve already told my wife if anything like that happens here (Ohio, but I’m thinking about the NY laws) then all bets are off. I won’t fire first, and I might not fire last, but there will be blood. I don’t want it to happen. I won’t do anything to make it happen, but I won’t stand by. I’ll stand up.

17. Roper Pro says:

Review how Cyprus was given up by the british because of 273 freedom fighters against 43,000 british soldiers when it became too expensive in money, supplies, and personnel. I’m surprised the revolution hasn’t already started but I predicted that it will soon once all the taxes start hitting the Obamanites and they run out of their free stuff.

18. Boy says:

Bob – I’m kind of surprised that you’re surprised about the results. You’ve written about the shortage of guns and ammo. Is it any wonder why a poll would show that kind of response. I personally think it’s going to be an economic collaps first, but it really doesn’t matter.

19. Jeff Hoser says:

Polls come and go. Depending upon sample size and criteria, “your results may vary”. But, as an “old dog” that’s researched, studied and debated this particular political crux for some 40-odd years I can assure everyone – regardless which side you espouse – the “Next Civil War” is going to be far uglier than the “War Against Northern Aggression” (or however you choose to define it ) !

IMNSHO, this threatened “civil war” is going to be more akin to the Greek political “city-states wars” than the territorial one of our history. Now posit how these “blue” enclaves are going to fare when deprived of the essentials needed to survive. How will the “government” react ? And what can it effectively do ? IMO both sides are small boys “whistling past the graveyard ” ! We’re contemplating the complete dissolution of civil society with the military – ever mindful of protecting their own turf – sitting on the side lines awaiting the winner, or opportunity to take control. >Jeff

20. Sharpshooter says:

And this revolution will replace our present crap-pile with…what?

We have a revolution every two years and look where that’s gone.