Some days you just can’t win

Written By: Bob - May• 13•13

My daughter’s 2-year-old pit mix that we rescued from a shelter when he was just a few months old went into a series of violent seizures last night at 10:30, 2:30, and 4:30. After the last one I took him to the best veterinary hospital in our area. I told my daughter that her baby was in the best of hands, that they were going to get his seizures under control, and that we’d likely be able to pick him up tomorrow. She then went to catch the school bus at 7:15.

At 7:30, he went into a fourth violent seizure. It had lasted for 15 minutes when the vet called. The anti-seizure drugs are having no effect, and they were going to try to sedate him to bring him through this. I have no idea what the next phone call from the vet will bring.

It’s been a brutal week.

Update: Tripp (that’s his name) is now awake from sedation, and has not yet had seizures since waking up. That’s a small blessing, and we’ll see if it holds. They’re running a IV anti-seizure cocktail into him now, and the doctor is in the process of trying to isolate what the source of the seizures might be. So we wait.

On the bright side, last week’s surgical procedure for my family member that had us worried went well, and the patient is recovering nicely, so I am incredibly thankful for that.

I’m also very thankful for you, my readers. I was overwhelmed by both the moral, job, and financial support you have offered. Even in these troubling times, it is easy to see I am truly blessed.

Update: Here’s a picture of our boy  in less stressful times.

He's a lover, not a fighter.

He’s a lover, not a fighter. Unless you’re a chew toy.

The vet called at 5:00 PM, and he seems to be doing well. They’ve discontinued the IV loading of his anti-seizure meds and have gone to oral administration, and it looks like he’ll pull through just fine, just another well-loved dog with canine epilepsy that should live a long and happy life, God willing.

We’re going to sell a bunch of stuff to pay the vet bills, but I’m just thrilled that’s an option. My wife has put up a fundraising page to defray some of the costs, and I promised her that I’d link it, so here it is. Frankly, I think you’ve done too much as it is, and I thank you for the wonderful readers you are.

I’m going to try to come up for air tomorrow and crank out a good post at least every other day. You’ve stood by me, and it’s the least I can do.

Stay tuned.

1. thesouthwasrght says:

Don’t know if this will help but I just so happen to have access to the pick of the litter from our registered blue pit and a red nose. Both parents are of excellent temperament and both are in homes full of kids. Would be glad to be of help for you if you like.

As a side note, it really is a shame the reputation pit bulls have obtained b/c of what various sorry excuses for people have made them become. Pit’s live to please and if killing and maiming pleases their owner then that is what they do. If it means putting up w/ a precocious 3 year old baby boy then they excel, as does our “Elvis Dogger”, at that above all. Anyways would be glad to be of assistance for you in this matter.

2. Orion says:

You have this pagan’s prayers that things will improve for you and your family, and for the poor pup!

3. Big Country says:

Man Bob.. yer just NOT catching a break…

4. Jeff says:

best wishes for your pup

5. Kevin says:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your family member.

6. Klingonwork says:

Praying several times a day for you and yours Bob…
    God know where you are, it’s impossible for Him to forget you…He says so Himself…

Molon Labe

7. PubliusII says:

An animal can end up in a shelter because the previous owner found it has medical or behavioral problems that are too expensive or too intractable to deal with.

I don’t know if this is the case with your dog. However, shelters usually don’t know the full backstory on an animal, and an owner bringing in an animal with a big problem has some incentive not to tell the full truth anyway.

Responsible shelters will keep an animal under observation for a while to determine if there are problems, but that process isn’t perfect of course.

8. Glad your little one is doing well — know anyone near Houston looking for a good dog?

9. SonofLiberty says:

Our scottie had siezures that were idiopathic in nature. Ended up putting her on a regimen of phenolbarbitol and potassium bromide. After a few months of tweaking we got the doseages to the point where the seizures seased but the side affect was she was VERY food centric. We were blessed with another 2.5 years before her liver finally wore out from the drugs. Its a tough row to hoe, but it was worth it. Pets are family.
    You are in my prayers daily, friend, by name.
    You are not alone.

10. bloodyspartan says:

Give him and yourself Lugols Iodine in Water.May not cure everything but helps with a lot of things.

Live long and prosper all of you,
    GOD willing

11. unmitigatedaudacity says:

My dog is epileptic, and the first time I saw him seize it tore my heart out. Phenobarbitol has kept his seizures in check for over ten years now, but I haven’t forgotten that twenty minutes on the floor holding him terrified that he was dying in my arms.

God love you guys for adopting a rescue. I’ll be thinking about you, and hoping Tripp lives with you a long time.

12. CAMPBELL says:

grain in dog food can cause seizures. go to Dogtor j web site for info. We had a pug that recovered by changing his food to grain free

13. exsanguine says:

Hey Bob,

Sorry to hear about the pup.

I threw what I could your way for your troubled times. I have been there and received help so I am returning the karma.

Take care Bob.

14. rasputin says:

Never elevate a dog, cat or other pet to the status of family member. Only heartbreak and pain can come to family members who are eventually left with the incredible emotional trauma of the early demise of a “sibling” or “offspring”.

15. rasputin says:

Vets also take advantage of how society has elevated pets to that of quasi-humans and are screwing people out of their limited funds to prolong the lives of their furry family members.

Don’t sell ANYTHING. You need to stand up and be the head of the household and tell your family that the dog’s life isn’t as important as that of your family’s financial well being.

16. PubliusII says:

You’ve probably explored this, but some veterinary medications are available in generic form if they are also used by people.

We had cat problems that ended up being treated by putting the animal on Prozac (fluoxetine). This is quite pricy in its trademarked form, but vastly cheaper when bought at Target using the store’s $15/generic prescription program.

17. xsnh says:

Made a drop for the hound. Ours was a rescue too.
    We know the drill. Hope the $ get to you ok.
    Don’t let your dear wife sell any ammo. Tell her to sell your underware and socks.

18. garfish says:

My prayers will be with you…without the dry grumpy humor.

19. 11Fsteve in the desert says:

I’m sorry to read about your puppy. Dogs are very important to us and are vaulable and beloved family members.
    Years ago, my German Shepherd, Beo, was given strychnine by an unknown assassin. I found him when he was having grand mal seizures, his back arched, tongue out and purple. He went tonic on the ride to the vet and died there. He was great friend and family guardian. Losing him really was devastating and crushed my spirit for a while. I never was able to determine who it was that poisoned him.

20. juliesa says:

So sorry about the doggie. Just because it can’t hurt, you might try some of the diet advice in the comments above. Also, my mother’s dog stopped having seizures after having a teeth cleaning, of all things. That dog’s seizures were milder than your dog’s, though. Periodontal problems in pets and people can have some odd health effects, so who knows?