Apparently, the catapult doesn’t have wi-fi.

Written By: Bob - Jul• 25•13

I’ll likely be offline for several days next week for a National Geographic channel press junket. I’m just letting you know. And gloating.

But just a little.

1. Rock says:

If I had to defend my family and a castle, I might opt for something a little different than a catapult and compound/crossbow. That’s just me.

• Real Deal says:

I agree, however having more “traditional” weapons available doesn’t leave you in the lurch when you run out of ammo.

Also cinderblock wouldn’t be my first choice (unless they fill it with concrete) as a building material for my “castle”. I have a construction background and can tell you a few guys with sledge hammers and you’ve got a nice hole in your wall in a few minutes.

I’d have gone with concrete log constuction. It appears to be wood until you get real close when done by a good company. You could also work in extra vertical reinforcement.

I’m no expert but I’ve done some reading, and a castle should have a good view and a clear field of fire on its approaches. This traditonal strength is a weakness to this group. They will be visible for miles, for a small group this is bad. It makes them a target.

Really, in my not so expert opinion they’re using a hammer to sink a screw. It might do the job but it isn’t going to be pretty and defeats the whole pupose of using a screw. A small group like them should be going for a bunker like stronghold and concealment as their first line of defense.

• Real Deal says:

Clarification: I am not claiming to be an expert on survival or castles by any stretch of the imagination. It’s just my opinion based on common sense and some things I’ve picked up along the way. The first sentence of the last paragraph was ment to state that but upon re-reading it I see that it might be taken another way.

• Catseye says:

I’d go with concrete and river rocks if I could get them about two feet thick and then dirt or gravel for about three feet and then a second concrete and river rock inner wall. The outer wall is referred to as the curtain wall. The inner wall usually doesn’t need to be as strong as the curtain wall. I’d also clear the area around the “castle” to at least 100 yards.
        I’ve also been in a position of having to get thru a cinder block wall one person with a small sledge and a knife can create a hole large enough to get thru in a small space of time.
        Also the benefits of the bow and crossbow are you can whittle your own ammo. It’s the arrow heads and heads for the crossbow bolts that are going to be tough to replace.

• Catseye says:

Compound Bow Rock a crossbow is a different contraption, both are capable of penetrating type one and two body armor.

2. Real Deal says:

Have fun Bob. Also, have you ever heard of the Uncensored Survival Guide by Oli Fischer? If so thoughts?

Part of the problem, as shown by the tactical video you posted, is lacking a frame of reference its difficult to know what training, instruction, or advice is real/effective/useful or bogus/ineffective/useless or a waste of resources training for because the approach is unsuited to the real life resource pool of the average individual or small group of individuals.

3. Survival Skvez says:

One of *the* most important defensive features of a castle is the moat or similar structure (you could use stakes or thorn bushes).
    You need to be able to keep the attackers back from the wall of the castle for as long as possible where you can still shoot at them without having to expose yourself leaning over the ramparts (and by shoot I don’t just mean firearms I include arrows and other non-melee weapons).

Obviously like Doomsday Preppers and others this is a TV show and so the philosophy is heavily altered from what makes most sense to what makes good television.

That said it looks like it’ll be worth watching.

4. Dan says:

the family looks like it’s right out of central casting.

5. Peccable says:

Bows and crossbows are very effective since they are quite quiet. Terror is one of the guerrilla’s combat package. Silent death does strike terror.

• Catseye says:

Not to mention that if you are experienced enough you don’t need a direct line of sight to hit an opponent you can use the trajectory to loft it down on them. Being hit by someone you can’t see is very terrifying.

• Peccable says:

Plunging fire is demoralizing since one cannot fire back. The French found out how effective the English longbow was.

Fill a pail with sand-try to put a 30.06 round through and through. you can’t. An arrow will penetrate and pass through. So much for ballistic body armor.

6. Real Deal says:

I’m kinda surprised someone hasn’t come up with a modern/refined version of the Girandoni for one of these shows.