PA shooter kills three, wounds two before being taken down

Written By: Bob - Aug• 06•13
59-year-old Rockne Newell opened fire on a Ross Township because they wanted him to clean his property.

59-year-old Rockne Newell opened fire on a Ross Township board meeting because they wanted him to clean his property.

This is Rockne Newell. He’s a 59-year-old bum, and while he’s unable to clean his property either fiscally or physically, he has enough money for multiple firearms and ammunition, and plenty of strength to go on a murderous rampage.

A man feuding with officials in Pennsylvania’s Pocono Mountains over conditions at his ramshackle, trash-filled property blasted his way into a municipal meeting and killed three people before being tackled and shot with his own gun, authorities said.

The gunman, identified as 59-year-old Rockne Newell, indiscriminately fired shots Monday night as he barged into the meeting, authorities said. He left long enough to get another weapon from his car and continued firing upon returning until he was tackled by at least one person and shot with his own gun, police and witnesses said.

West End Open Space Commission executive director Bernie Kozen tackled Newell and shot him with his own gun in one of his legs.

This was obviously a premeditated ambush. It’s too bad Kozen didn’t “accidentally” shoot Newell in the head while “securing” his gun.

Update: Newell tried to collect donations via Give Forward in October. I was unaware FEMA was in the bridge business.

Here’s what is allegedly his Facebook page. He’s a pro-union Obama supporter, so don’t expect this story to be harped upon the way the media would if they found out he had been a supporter of conservative causes.

1. thesouthwasrght says:

Ever notice how union slobs all pretty much look alike? Being union must have a toxic effect on both hygiene and intelligence. That, or a lack of either to begin with. Kind of a chicken/egg deal I suppose.

2. Nayback says:

If Obama had an odd Uncle…

3. Rock says:

Whether physically or financially able to clean-up his property or not, the guy had his home/property condemed and seized. It left him homeless and sleeping in his car and abandoned buildings, reportedly. Clearly he was all sorts of crazy. And he obviously has some sort of hoarding problem, certainly. Together not a reason to shoot up the town council. But I’m not convinced that they had a right to take his property, no matter how poor of condition or how much garbage he had on it. If I was his neighbor, I’d be pissed. But again, they shouldn’t have taken his home/property.

• fubar says:

town councils/local gvts are drunk with power over enforcing private property ordinances.

I was told of an upstate NY town where one person complained over “junk lots” and the town is now mandating cleaning up properties and making sure lawns are mowed.

One friend, a farmer asked sarcastically if this means he’s prohibited from growing hay, as the grass will be taller than 12″. And if they want his roof fixed they can show up with the supplies and labor to fix it for him, he doesn’t have the money. {under this new mandate his haybine would not be allowed to be parked in his front “yard” for more than 12 hours)

this kind of “nudging” leads to some weak minded individuals “snapping” as they feel there is no civil recourse, after getting a lot of runaround by bureaucrats, or property seized.

As a business owner, I have been visited numerous times by DEP who insist on weeds controlled, permits for junk cars and other “tidiness”. It’s almost like they want the property to look nice for when they seize it.

4. dave says:

That facebook page lists him as having worked at Hercules Powder Co.

5. Not endorsing this bastard at all. For one thing, he killed people who had nothing to do with what was done to him. That’s just wrong, no matter how you put it.

But somebody hurting me or my family by stealing my property because they didn’t like the way it looked? Please enlighten me. Why shouldn’t he be righteously pissed off?

No, that doesn’t excuse his busting into a room and murdering people indiscriminately, not even in the littlest bit, but where’s the line? Just when, exactly, is it legitimate to use force against tyrants meddling where they have no right to meddle? Isn’t that what we’re always talking about? How much is too much?

• Rock says:

Where is the line? I think that is the question that a lot of people are asking themselves. I don’t have an answer, and I don’t think many people do.

I’m hoping that I’ll know it when I see it. At some point I expect the feds to over-reach, more than the standard amount, and really harm a sympathic person or family who will serve as a catalyst. It can’t be a crazy, hoarding, kook who kept a yard full of garbage. But some real ‘all-american’ family who for some reason draws the ire of the federal government and is wrongly violated and punished. Then people will stand up and say enough, the line was crossed.

Until then, I suspect everyone will just sit back and be flogged by the feds, a little bit at a time.

6. Michael says:

He was a gun nut who was angry about how the gubmint was out to get him. You should all have been muy simpatico with him.

7. Real Deal says:

Psychiatric litmus test for gun ownership:

Q: Did you vote for Obama?
    A: Yes.

Q: Did you vote for Obama twice?
    A: yes.

No gun for you!

Honestly. This guy, Chris Dorner, James Eagan Holmes, and Nadal all love the Lefties. Can’t say for Lanza but it wouldn’t surprise me.