I’d crawl in a bunker until 2013 is over, but…

Written By: Bob - Sep• 15•13

The past year of underemployment has been rough on my wife and kids, and so my beautiful bride cashed in on a customer appreciation day deal so that we could take the weekend to try and decompress at the nearby beach for what was essentially the cost of gas to get there and back. We had a wonderful time Saturday morning, then were on the way back to the campground for a PB&J lunch when an elderly woman in an SUV pull out in front of us as she tried to make a left-hand turn.  Fortunately, nobody had to be hospitalized from the resulting collision, but that ended some much-needed family R&R.

We’re all sore, but there was no blood or broken bones in our car, and her injuries were minimized (and perhaps actually caused by) the airbag that deployed. We suspect insurance will total my paid-for car, so we’ll be down to the truck we were about to sell so that we’d have one less vehicle to fuel.

To make things even more entertaining, we’ve come home to find the my daughter’s dog—yup, the canine epileptic—now has what I think is conjunctivitis in both eyes, so we’ll be adding another medical bill to the pile of stuff we can’t pay.

Sure, I’m feeling a little low today, but you know what?

Tomorrow I’ll wake up beside the woman who is the love of my life, then send two wonderful kids to school. I’ll then work my butt off at a job that makes me want to pour everything I have into it.

Life can be tough, and sometimes cruel. What you determine to make of the life you’re given is what matters.

Choose to celebrate the good in your life, no matter what curve-balls are thrown your way.

Update: The pup turned out to have torn the thin, soft outer layer of his cornea, which has healed over time, and so he’s back to normal.

The insurance company is indeed totaling out the car, and is giving us a reasonable settlement. We were planning on going down to one car anyway; now there is just the decision on whether we keep the truck or go for another vehicle with a little better gas mileage.

1. drjim says:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but with you positive attitude, I’m sure you’ll get through this.

Thanks for being an inspiration for us all.

2. Gus Bailey says:

Stiff upper lip, good onya, and God Bless, Bob. Keep up the good work.

3. Dan says:

glad no one was hurt. Old people can be a menace on the road, I should know I live in Florida. Though singling them out isn’t really fair since the ratio of idiots to competent drivers seems to always be tilting more and more in the idiots favor.

4. idahobob says:

An attitude of gratitude……..that is what helps me get through the rough times.

Gratitude and thankfulness to God for everything that He has done in my life……especially the changes that He has wrought over the past 25 years.

5. Wiccapundit says:

I heard a nice sentiment on BB King’s Bluesville on Sirius radio:

“If you woke up this morning with the blues, just remember: you woke up this morning.”

The most important line in your post was “wake up beside the woman who is the love of my life.” That’s the truth, and everything else is just gravy.

6. Stoutcat says:

Hang in there and keep plugging. We have your back.

7. dekare says:

It’s all about perspective. I feel horrible about so many things lately, but you are right. I have a roof over my head, two legs, and two arms, and an incredible woman who loves me more than life itself. So, no matter what crap I have to endure, (and lately, it seems unbearable at times), I will still consider myself luckier than most.

8. lex says:

Hang in there. No matter how bad my day I come home to a supportive (usually) wife and my two wonderful boys aged 6yrs & 3yrs, one of whom is 100% disabled and is a gift straight from the Almighty. They my head screwed on right and are the reason that when the day comes that I let loose the dogs of War, that Daddy takes no prisoners.

9. parker says:

Glad no one was seriously injured. Yes, attitude (with a pinch of cynicism and a teaspoon of humor) is everything. I work with disabled children. They tend to be a rather cheerful bunch with a mischievous sense of humor. Their attitudes are what gets them through the difficulties they face 24/365.

10. rasputin says:

get rid of the f****** dog.

11. Jane K. says:

Rasputin, I beg to differ! I’ve spent lots on the fur babies I have loved. Just put our almost 12 year old lab down in June, and have now adopted my great nephew’s 9 month old lab mix. Pets that are loaned to us for a brief time become members of our families.
    Bob, I’m ashamed to say I’ve not been keeping up on a daily basis, and tried to do some back reading yesterday. Could you direct me to a time frame when all this chaos began, so that I might become informed?
    Thanks, and my best to you.

Hang in there!

Enjoy every moment you can as if it be your last!

13. Skip says:

Too bad about all the terrible things which are happening to you and your family. I know from experience, when it rains it pours…one problem after another.

Be thankful you and I assume your family is healthy. My life went down the drain when I had to shuffle away from a good paying job which I enjoyed very much. That has been a number of years ago and I feel like a slug because I cannot work.

Take care

14. Jeff says:

From what I read, Bob’s family has been reduced to Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Next stop sounds like they’ll BBQ the dog. They can’t afford it-it’s a sickly dog. Give it up to a shelter and let a family who can afford it take care of it.

Bob’s first responsibility is to his kids and wife, not the dog.

15. Beaumont says:

Dogs are better friends, and better citizens, than many humans. Apparently Rasputin’s screen name is well chosen; he seems to desire to emulate one of the most horrible figures in history.

16. figment says:

sorry to hear about your troubles. however, before you run your dog to the vet for conjunctivitis if you can get a hold of this, it might save you $100. or so.

NFZ puffer (@$10) available at Tractor Supply Co, or Vetericyn (also at TSC) makes a conjunctivitis treatment for horses and livestock, Pricier than NFZ, but works well and doesn’t burn as much as it’s easy to spray in the eye.

(If the inner eyelid of your dog is inflamed, than yup, that’s conjunctivitis. )

17. S.Lynn says:

Look up how to make sterile saline solution and rinse your dogs eye out (how often? you can look that up, too). My dog has allergies and rinsing her eye seems to help. Unfortunately I did end up taking her to the vet last time ’cause I waited too long. Got antibiotic cream for the eye. But, on that note, you don’t use it all and you’ll have some for the next time.