Making a mountain out of an molehill

Written By: Bob - Sep• 27•13

I saw that both The Truth About Guns and Western Rifle Shooters Association decided to weigh in on an article about an Appleseed event up in New York, reported at Metro.us. While the reporter seemed refreshed and relatively impressed with what she saw (no easy feat just outside the heart of deep-blue New York City), both sites took issue with some of the comments made by Appleseed instructor Dan Boyle, AKA, K-Dan. I’ve never met Dan in person, but his reputation among some of the most senior instructors I know in the program is a very good one.

For whatever reason (maybe a slow content day?), TTAG’s Farago got pissy over Dan’s comments about zombie targets.

For Dan, the choice of that responsibility lays with gun owners. It’s how, rifle in hand, he can point to a box of Zombie target posters in the basement and reduce the targets to the ugly truth that are, without betraying the ideals that brought him here to teach in the first place. That, the zombie posters are often referred to as stand-ins for “liberals” within the community of extreme second amendment supporters.

“I find the whole ‘Zombie’ thing in poor taste,” said Dan. “It impersonalizes the other side. It’s absolutely threatening to people who don’t agree with you, when these Pro-Second Amendment guys who stand around talking about how ‘Liberalism is a disease,’ and then in the next breath talk about zombies. It’s not difficult to make the connection. I mean, what are we talking about? We’re talking about killing our neighbors. I find it embarrassing.”

Farago’s response?

So people shooting at Zombie targets are actually shooting at liberals? Who knew?

Really, Robert?

ObamaZ robber zombie 03President_Obama

If it weren’t obvious enough which liberal zombie these target makers were singling out, two of the three images have “Obama” in the file title, and the idiots at DuraTarget even name their “President Obama.”  And yes, there are other quite obviously liberal zombie targets (including gun control activists), and references to liberal zombies on shooting forums is not uncommon. Yes, quite a few center-right shooters do refer to liberals as zombies, and as the owner/editor of a shooting site, I suspect Farago is intentionally feigning ignorance of an ugly truth to feign outrage as an excuse to link-whore.

Farago and readers at WRSA then pitched a fit over the last paragraph in the article.

“Liberty taken to the extreme is not a good thing,” Dan said to the class, laying out what might be Project Appleseed’s most important lesson of all. “We are not ‘armed,’ the 2nd amendment not withstanding, against our government with weapons. What we are armed with is information and the vote,” adding before he dismisses class, “if you ignore your rights they’ll go away.”

Perhaps you’ve never been to an Appleseed event, but the marksmanship clinic we provide is, well…

its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas
I’m not kidding.

The deep, dark, and dirty secret about Appleseed is this: the marksmanship training we provide is great, but it is used to sucker people in so that we can subject them to one of the disgusting things in American public life. Yes, we encourage people to learn their past and embrace their heritage, in order to better function as active participants in the civic process.

Why, that’s damn near un-American!

Doesn’t that make you want to run screaming for the trees?

Perhaps Dan’s words were taken slightly out of context or maybe even slightly misquoted, but it isn’t off much and anyone who’s been to an Appleseed (and paid attention) would get that. We want people to become aware of their civic duty, and use the soap box (free speech) and the ballot box (voting), so that we don’t have to resort to the cartridge box (a civil war). Appleseed is not a militia; we are not armed against the government with anything other than education and civic awareness. We are convinced that an aware and active citizenry is the best defense against tyranny, bar none, and we teach some good rifle shooting fundamentals, too.

Either Farago slept through Appleseed instead of listening, or he simply listened without understanding.

As for WRSA, I lurk there often because the articles linked are extremely informative and show me a lot about the tactical applications of shooting I haven’t yet had a chance to learn, but the simply fact of the matter is that they’re outlook is largely fatalistic. While they may very well be right that this country is on a downward slide that may be past a point of return, I’m not willing to give up just yet, and neither is Dan, nor is Appleseed as a program. Some at WRSA sneer at Appleseeders that our training isn’t realistic or useful… and they are right, if they are talking about tactical shooting.

But Appleseed isn’t about shooting, moving, and communicating on a battlefield. It’s about using shooting to communicate to hopefully get people moving into a more active role to prevent America from turning into a battlefield.

I don’t get the self-destructive, damn-near-emo in their drama, my-way-or-the-highway approach that some adopt in the shooting community where they have to make high drama about every little thing that isn’t 100% in line with what they personally believe.

Perhaps Ace’s thoughts on nummification doesn’t just apply to politics.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have an Appleseed to prepare for.

1. Jim says:

Great post Bob. Couldn’t agree more.

2. So “zombie” is a dog-whistle for “liberal” now? I’ve always just called ’em anti-liberty butt-heads myself. I do, however, find the President Obama targets to be in poor taste, even if they are (probably) a Constitutionally protected form of self-expression.

Hope I can make it to an Appleseed event sometime, it sounds educational and fun.

3. jackdaddy63 says:

Appleseed was great for my kid. He willingly sat through the history to get to the shooting. My son and I are still talking about the Revolution and the politics that got us where we are today as a nation. We’re going to another Appleseed this fall and adding his older sister to the mix.

4. And I’ve always had so much respect for Farago… Guess I need to revisit that thought.

5. Cole says:

I always thought zombie was code for the hordes of violent looters that will rise up when there is civil unrest. I call leftists far worse things than zombie.

Speaking of Appleseed, I finally got most of the gear for it. Probably have to wait until I move though. Have fun this weekend Bob.

6. Knitebane says:

Respect for Farago? Why? He’s a contemptible liar as well as a thief and in the words of Emily Miller, “very creepy and jumpy.”

Yes, THAT Emily Miller. He accosted her at the Gun Rights Conference in Orlando last year.

Oleg Volk called him a “syphilitic skunk.”

I will NEVER link to Robert Farago and if he said the sky was blue I’d go outside and check.

Linoge put all the evidence together in one mega-post:

7. david7134 says:

That voting thing is really working well. Obama gets to count all the dead zombies.

8. Right_2_Bear says:

Oh well I’m in the minority here. The Left is famous for calling Rush listeners “mind-numbed-robots”. And the Left positively owns the disgusting factor. I don’t need to give examples.

I am weary of people supposedly on our side undermining us. What is it about the Right that thinks by being nice and “above-it-all” the Left will just go away? So Mr. Boyle doesn’t like the zombie targets – fine! He should respect his comrades free speech that do like them – No need to call them neighbor killers. (Be honest is that not something a Leftist would say?)

I am in firm belief that this country is in a fight for its life. The last thing we need is to split ranks among us – especially in such an organization as Appleseed of all places! If we ever lose 1A or 2A we are doomed.

9. WiscoDave says:

“Liberty taken to the extreme is not a good thing,”
    Oh, well, I guess the Founders were wrong…
    Voting, as pointed out above, has worked ever so well.
    The political process in this country, from a Constitutional standpoint, is a broken joke.
    Politicians of BOTH parties have violated the Constitution through their daily actions – none are held accountable.
    Keep waiting for 2014 as EO after EO is issued and implemented. Laws are ignored by the government with no consequences. Waiting for the next McCain, Romney, Boehner will make all the difference in the world…
    I commend the Appleseed program for what it does. It is a valuable resource for those that need it. I fear that the need is nearer than many believe. Once things fall apart, the WRSA articles will be the next level of training needed.

10. Patrick says:

I just caught up to Fargo’s post on his site and was hoping tbat you had seen it ans would comment.
    Just as you said any Appleseeder knows we’re using our 2nd Amendment rights to essential lure people to civic participation. My benediction is almost the same, our founding fathers gave us another way than the cartridge box to secure our Liberties but we have to exercise them for it to mean anything or they are just words that will fade into History.
    Thank you for stepping up on this subject Bob. one day I’m gonna have to make the trip to the home range and work an Appleseed with you. i suspect I’ll learn a lot. :-)

11. HempRopeAndStreetlight says:

We are all allies in this. It’s easy to let the internet’s natural language – hyperbole – hijack the narrative.

WRSA, TTAG, Bob Owens and the rest of us are all on the same team.

The founders were not without arguments and differences of opinions – look at the Federalists v.s. Anti-Federalists during ratification.

Debate and arguments amongst ourselves strengthen, as long as we remember, at the end of the day, WHO the REAL enemy is.

I ask all parties to remember this – in the end we are the last bulwark in this nation against complete are utter tyranny. Our numbers are small, but our resolve is diamond hard. This is not useful unless we all stand together.

Each of the aggrieved groups in this argument serves an important purpose. An arrow is useless without a bow, a bow worthless without a string, and all are inert without the muscles, skill, and will of a human to combine them.

Each of you serve a purpose. And an important one. Some of those here will be the true vanguard. The arrowhead when the fighting starts. But you cannot last without the support, propaganda, and supply provided by the axillary.

The battle will be fought on many strata. Never forget this folks. Everyone in this fight serves a critical purpose. Yes, as soldiers it’s our God-given right to bitch. But while letting off the hot air, we must – ALL OF US – remember that each is a gear in the machine, serving a critical function.

The Vanguard training for war, those fighting for the minds and hearts of the people, those who are working over logistics, and the people preparing tactically all serve a critical purpose – roughhouse as you must, but each gear must turn smoothly against it’s brother for us to succeed.

Never forget this. Ever.

• Man-Bear-Pig says:

Good points and very well written.

You comment forces me to remember that while I might not agree with EVERYTHING said by people on our side of the fence — I don’t agree with ANYTHING espoused by the assholes on the other side.

Sincerely,

Man-Bear-Pig

12. mtp says:

It is good to keep in mind we are All like the pig: committed.
    We are all in this together, good and bad.
    It is going to take everything we have together, to win.

13. Isaac Baker says:

This Appleseed instructor seems to me like one of those “Let’s not lower ourselves to their level, we’re better than that” kind of guys. Horse hockey! The left and their assorted minions from the beast at the top to the least of their low information voters are as feral and hateful toward us as can possibly be imagined. We better be prepared to get just as mean and low-down or prepare for life starving behind barbed wire. The namby pamby-ness of him and his ilk serve only to help make that happen.

14. Mt Top Patriot says:

These tyrants are afraid of us.

They are afraid of what we will do to them for what they are doing to us.

It is why they they call the AR15 rifle an “assault weapon”.

Because they are afraid it will be used to assault them for what they have done to this great Republic.

It is why the are attempting to make peaceful redress impossible.

They are afraid because the idea of truth and reason reveals their illegitimacy.

They are afraid of people speaking freely because they only have power until they do not.

They only have power as long as the fiction of their legitimacy is hidden behind the existing appearance of legitimacy.

They are afraid.
    Very afraid.
    Afraid we will know the truth of them.

I think it is too late for them.

I think they have made revolution to their illegitimacy possible.

I think what terrifies these tyrants is people are beginning to see, indeed, but what these tyrants fear more than anything is the truth that people are beginning to realize they are not alone.

It is a cascade preference of Liberty.

And no tyrant, no power, no law, can stop this.

Because the simple truth is once people stop believing in the legitimacy of the power and monopoly of force of the tyrants and their system of rule over us, they simply have no power any longer.

They only posses the means to enforce their will through threat of violence.

That is why they are tyrants.

It is why they are afraid.

Afraid people are beginning to believe.

Believe the only power in this land, the only legitimacy of the sovereign, has always resided in us.

What is even grander than this, what is so wonderful, this great nation of freemen has in it’s grasp the ability and wherewithal to become greater than any can imagine.

That ideal of the shining light on the hill is true.

When you believe you become free.

And that is the freest speech, the most powerful assault weapon of Liberty there is.

Oh yes, they are afraid.

They should be.

They should be terrified of us.

They know power.

But they do not know what true power is, how truly powerful we the people are.

Yet.